Day Twelve of Autism Acceptance Month
“There is Jackson standing like a stone wall. Let us determine to die here, and we will conquer. Rally behind the Virginians.”
On this day in 1861, Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, South Carolina, fell under attack by southern rebels, ushering in the start of the most tragic and bloody time in US history-the Civil War.
Out of this brutal time in history, several heroes were made on both side-many of those they believe today were likely autistic.
Today, in tribute, I am focusing on Thomas...or, as many today know him as, "Stonewall" Jackson.
I know that this figure may be slightly controversial for me, due to the fact that I am in the defense force of a state that was on the side of the Union, and he was a Confederate general. However, no matter what your views may be, the fact does remain that he still was a great leader, and is still hailed as a great hero of the South by many today.
Stonewall graduated from West Point in 1846, 17th on the class of 59. From early childhood, he was known to be dedicated, precise, and hard-working. As did many war heroes, he is said to have possessed many, many traits of autism-even in his time period he was known to be "eccentric." One routine he apparently stuck constantly to was praying before every battle. While it's true that most individuals in America were devout Christians at the time, Stonewall was known to take it many steps ahead. His need for "routine" prayer before battle could very well be attributed to autism. Whatever the case is, it does remain that Stonewall was loved, honored, and greatly respected by his troops.
In 1863 after the Battle of Chancellorsville, Jackson was hit by friendly fire. His left arm was amputated, and General Lee was quoted as saying "General Jackson has lost his left arm, but I my right." Sadly, Stonewall Jackson died eight lays later. His loss was felt by all.
As I said, this historical character may seem somewhat controversial for me. I am serving in the state defense force of Ohio-a state that was on the side of the Union. But still, Stonewall Jackson is worthy of mention as a great autistic hero. Do I believe in slavery? No. As a matter of fact, I abhor the idea of a human being owning another. But I don't think of Stonewall and the others on the side of the Confederates fighting for their rights to keep slaves. Rather, I prefer to think of them fighting for their way of life, and standing up for what they believed in. As a matter of fact, many freed black slaves are known to have fought for the Confederacy.
Could the South have won the war had Stonewall lived? Could things be very, very different? Many say yes!
No comments:
Post a Comment