Monday, April 17, 2017

I Want To Live, And I Will Live

Day 17 of Autism Acceptance Month

It's been quite a day, and I'm still somewhat in an Easter Rebel mood...so I'd thought today I'd do something unique and feature my own created fictional character!
Stormy Johnson not only has all the traits of autism, she cuts herself as well. She doesn't want to go into an institution, so she tries to fight it as hard as she can. However, she has great anxiety and frustration over her country "being walked all over" by England. Her father is a proud Englishman, and her mother is a native Gaelic speaker come to Dublin from Galway as a teen, but doesn't believe that anything can be done about English oppression. More and more, she uses self-harm as an outlet...until she meets Padraig Pearse. (See yesterday's post!) Inspired by "how much he's like her" and the fact that he has an English father and an Irish mother like her, she goes behind her parent's back to train for a rebellion under him. When her parents found out, they disown her, but Aoife Murphy, another young rebel woman takes her in.
On April 24th, 1916, Stormy joins the ranks of the rebels to fight for their freedom. Guided by Padraig Pearse, she learns to fight for what she believes in and make a difference in this world. Sadly, her friend Aoife is shot down by gunfire from the British Army. A week later, in her cell in Kilmainham Gaol, she hears the execution shots of Padraig Pearse from her cell...as well as that of all the other leaders of the rebellion.
After she's released, Stormy remembers the promise she made to Aoife-that she would never cut herself again. Remembering that promise, she goes on to live a fulfilling life-and even make amends with her parents. Whenever Stormy feels the urge to cut, she thinks of a butterfly...a butterfly she calls Aoife. Stormy wants to live. And she will live. For Aoife. For Padraig. For a free and united Ireland.
I somewhat see Stormy as portrayed by Eileen O'Higgins (Nancy from the movie Brooklyn.)
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...