Sunday, April 2, 2017

Cupcakes, trash, etc.

I'm fitting in quite well so far with the Ohio Military Reserve. My first drill weekend has come and gone and today consisted mainly of trash patrol around the armory (a ditch runs in front, where every sort of trash feasible is thrown into) and CUPCAKES for lunch as one of my Security Section partners is turning thirty tomorrow!
I'm signed up for BELT training starting in May, which is Basic Entry Level Training-boot camp if you will. There won't be as much screaming and push ups as there would be in the federal service, but quite a bit of classroom sessions, formations, and common military courtesy. I hope we do get to have some physical training as well though!
Again, please consider joining your state defense force! (If your state has one that is-look up to see if they do!) I think something along the lines of this could be SO PERFECT FOR SOMEONE ON THE AUTISM SPECTRUM IN SO MANY WAYS! Autistic people could gain self-esteem, and so many people could see just how bright and capable they are!

P.S. If you don't have a state defense force, consider joining Civil Air Patrol! Air Force Auxiliary-might be even better for some on the spectrum in some ways actually!

2 comments:

  1. Kerry, this is so exciting! I was in the Army Reserves many years ago in Kansas, and it was a great experience. Boot camp was hard at times, but it's supposed to be! More than that though, it was such a wonderful time of learning and growing. I had so many experiences I wouldn't have had otherwise. I'm sure you've heard enough stories though, or at least enough that you wanted to sign up!

    Good luck and stay strong! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry - My old college roommate, a guy named Chris Purdy ( I think you might know him, and agree that he’s quite old) gave me a heads up a few days ago about his daughter joining the Ohio Military Reserve. I think he was trying to impress me because I’m a retired military guy with lots of years in boots. Well, he succeeded. I’m impressed with your willingness to “pull on the boots”. Congratulations! And go for it! Because what you’re doing matters. What you’re doing makes a difference.

    Rob Breen, 1SG U.S. Army, Retired

    ReplyDelete

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...