Welcome
Home, Hero
“Rhiannon!” A blur
hurtles itself towards me the instant I step off the plane and attaches itself
to my leg. I jump back, but then relax and smile down at Jamie, my three year
old nephew. “Daddy and grandpa and grandma said you got to shoot guns and run
through mud and learn to take down bad guys, I can’t wait till I’m grown up so I
can be just like you, will you teach me to shoot mean people, huh…!”
“Jamie!” My smile grows
as I see my older brother Collin make his way through the crowd. “Had to get
away from me to see your aunt, didn’t you?”
I rock on my feet,
biting my lip. Seven weeks of basic training have somewhat dulled my heightened
senses, but I can still be uncomfortable in crowded, noisy situations. I’ve
already started to notice a remarkable improvement – not too long ago, I would
have completely shut down in the middle of the airport. Or had a screaming
meltdown. But here I was now, standing in the middle of the busy airport after
successfully completing Air Force basic training!
I pick up Jamie and
follow Collin through the airport. “Mom and Dad are at home setting up your
party for tomorrow,” he tells me. “They can’t wait to see you! We’re going to
try to keep the press away as well, but you know them…”
“We won’t be able to
keep them away,” I told them. “Hate to brag, but I did, after all, sort of make
history…oh shite. Speak of the divil.”
Sure enough two
reporters are moving through the crowd toward me. “Airman Lynch!” one called.
“How’s it feel to be
the first openly autistic person to enlist in the Armed Forces?”
“Did you need any
accommodations?”
“Did you ever feel like quitting?”
I feel my Irish temper
bristle. Don’t these people know we don’t like to be mobbed? “I feel grand
about everything…no, my drill sergeant hated everyone equally…yes, but I
refused to give anyone the satisfaction of seeing it. To be a SERE specialist
in the Air Force is what I have always wanted, and I worked and pushed myself
for this opportunity. Thank you! Oh and by the way, not too long ago you would
have been mobbing me asking me what it was like to be a woman in the military.” I smile at them and walk off. Collin is
beside himself. I know that he wants to yell at me for setting a bad example
for Jamie, but he’s also trying not to crack up.
We’re at the car. We
get in and we’re on our way home. As we drive through the streets of Boston, I
shake out my long, thick chestnut Gael mane and lean my head back against the
seat and close my eyes. Airman Rhiannon Una Lynch. It still seems so unreal. I
go back to remembering that day last winter, when the announcement came that
the US armed forces had lifted the ban on autistics enlisting. My dream of
being in the Air Force as a SERE specialist could finally become a reality. Was
it easy for me? Not at all. Did I have to push and force myself to keep going?
Absolutely. Would I let myself quit? Never. Not to mention that if I did, all
the skeptics would have simply gone, “Told you so.” I wouldn’t give them that
satisfaction. I wanted to pave the way for other young men and women like me. I
wanted to be an inspiration.
We’re at the house.
Collin pulls into the driveway and there are Mom and Dad. Just seeing them out
the window with their shining faces said it all. Welcome home, hero.
No comments:
Post a Comment