Thursday, May 19, 2016

Off Into The Wild Blue Yonder





Off Into the Wild Blue Yonder
June 2018
“Cathy, don’t you see what a great leap this was for our armed forces? They’ve denied these brilliant, hard working young men and women opportunities for far too long. You should be proud of Rhiannon for enlisting. She’ll gain confidence she never had, earn money for her education, learn to make friends, see the world, and prove what people like her can do if they were only given a chance…”
Cathy cut her husband off. “Rory, I’m not saying I’m not proud of her. I just don’t know what to think. She’s never had any real friends, she’s never been able to socialize, she’s always isolated herself. It was just announced last December that the armed forces dropped the ban on autism. Next thing you know…she announces that she’s enlisted in the Air Force now that she can. As a SERE specialist no less! Do you know how intense that is?”
“Cathy, we need to give her a chance. She’s always loved hiking, hunting and the outdoors. A SERE specialist in the Air Force could be the perfect thing for her! That’s what she’s good at and what she loves. And look at it this way: do you really think military life would be that hard for an autistic person? It could actually be ideal! It’s structured; it’s predictable…And look at who all in history they are all saying now were probably autistic. George Washington. Stonewall Jackson. Joan of Arc. Some of the greatest military heroes the world has ever seen!”
“I know Rory,” Cathy sighed. “She’s a grown woman now, and she can make her own decisions. And I’m glad of the decision our military made. I honestly don’t think they will regret it, especially the Air Force. That could be the perfect place for people with autism honestly – it has everything they’re good at.”
“I’m proud of our colleen, Cathy. I’m glad you are as well.”
Cathy smiled. “I am too Rory, I am too. Airman Rhiannon Lynch…it has a nice sound to it.”

NOTE: SERE Specialist: Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape Specialists instruct Airmen on survival skills should their aircraft go down.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...