Wednesday, January 23, 2019
Hesiod, Homer, etc. (and the role of women)
As some may know, I'm taking a Classical Mythology course this semester. It's pretty demanding, but a lot of fun, not to mention the professor is a scream! I've read Hesiod's "Theogony" so far, and we're starting on "The Odyssey." Both are demanding reads, but extremely interesting.The big thing, however, is the study of the Greek and Roman gods. I'm familiar enough with the Greek pantheon, but it's interesting to dive in deeper, and it's fun to see the parallels between my deities and the Greek deities (Danu-Gaia; Dagda-Zeus; Lugh-Apollo; Macha-Nike; Manannan mac Lir-Poseidon; etc.)
It's almost sobering, though, how women were looked at-compared to my own Celtic culture! As a matter of fact, Hesiod himself was a "woman-hater" and loved talking shit about females. With no offense to Greeks-I love them, I really do-I'd go insane in ancient Greece.
Spartan Greek women and girls were treated with a bit more respect-I certainly could handle their female running competitions, but still, their female athletic competitions were so they could give birth to strong sons who would grow up to be mighty warriors.
I love my running and my boxing, but I've made the "childfree choice" (and happy to have the support of my family.) Thank Macha (I mean Nike...!) for modern times! And if I had to live in ancient times, give this Irish, English, Dutch lass her Celtic lands any day! Looking at how the women in *those* countries went into battle, owned land, etc. there's quite a stark contrast...
Speaking of the Greek gods, I was pleased to hear that many Greeks are now renouncing their Orthodox Christian faith and turning back to the Olympian gods!
I was doing a Youtube search for ancient Greek/Pagan music to supplement my studies and came across this amazing Greek Pagan singer! Even if you're not Greek or Pagan, her stuff is still worth a listen!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Six Triple Eight
Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...
-
Yule gift Zoey, adopted from the Ohio Craft Museum. She and I have planned many adventures for 2025! Made by Olivia's Kloset. Hope that...
-
I recently returned from a five day "silent retreat" to Gethsemani Abbey in the gorgeous foothills of Kentucky. Home of some dev...
No comments:
Post a Comment