Friday, January 11, 2019

Burning Woman

Jenna's Book Club
For all strong women, "Burning Woman" by Lucy Pearce is a must-read. A native of County Cork, Lucy Pearce shares her thoughts on the long-suppressed archetype of the "Burning Woman"-the woman who knows her own self and doesn't take anyone else's shit.
Lucy has certainly gone through her own trials, and has indeed spent her early life struggling to find her own strength. We live in a world where, unfortunately women and girls are still silenced. Knowing very well The Republic of Ireland, Lucy's strictly Catholic country (although it will be said that they recently did quench their ban on abortion AND was the first country to legalize same-sex marriage-both of which both she and I were delighted about!!!) much of her pent up rage at being "silenced" and coming across as "weak" certainly must have played a number on her. Trust me-I'VE BEEN THERE. I sincerely know what it's like to be shamed, downtrodden-even verbally and physically abused, as in the case of one school-for being a girl. My true intentions after high school, were, in fact, to go straight into the Army-I wanted to help challenge the U.S. Army's ban on women in combat!-and then go into the fire service once out. Lucy and I seem to have tons in common-and it's not just being Irish. I too, know the shame and frustration of coming across as "weak" and "cowardly." This is, indeed, a book that all women and girls must read. Heads up, some of it does come across as angry-but I certainly understand why! Lucy describes how women have been literally "burned" in history, i.e. Joan of Arc-and continue to be "burned" today, both literally (Middle East, etc.) and figuratively (abuse, cyber bullying, etc.) today. I myself am a "burned woman"-transmuted into a "Burning Woman. Must read, and check out Lucy Pearce on Facebook as well!
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...