(If you haven't seen my post on "The Green Mile," read it, this ties in.)
There are big debates against the death penalty, I'm all too aware of that. Some are for it, but it seems that more and more are becoming against it. I don't blame them. In my opinion, the death penalty isn't much of a deterrent. As far as I'm concerned, if someone has a truly, sick, twisted mind, they are going to commit murder, rape, etc. anyway. As a matter of fact, I've even heard it be said that some individuals were suicidal. They wanted to get the death penalty on purpose!
There are sites where you can read the last words, see the last meal requests, etc. of someone on death row-and that in a way makes it more sobering. You can even see pictures of execution chambers which are incredibly chilling. I've been to the Ohio State Reformatory-and my Indigo Child self could even feel the negative vibes. That is not an uplifting place.
I get that some individuals are a true danger to society. Lock them up in maximum security prisons for life. But the death penalty hardly makes sense. I don't even support the Boston bombers being given the death penalty. I have my roots in Boston AND I'm a runner. That seriously says something. I don't believe in blindly "turning the other cheek." I indeed
believe in the rede "An it harm none, do what ye will." While my faith
doesn't believe in the concept of hell, karma will be served to the
condemned anyway, "what ye do will come back to thee"-in a way, however,
that will hold the executioner accountable as well. It's a never ending
cycle. Indeed lock them up for life-but in a way, is whoever administers the lethal injection, pulls the switch, etc. that much better than the condemned themselves?
No comments:
Post a Comment