Tuesday, March 27, 2018

I am starting to realize that I take after my strong Irish grandmother, Maire Ní Dúbhda, who would have been 97 yesterday. And not just in looks as well! I was recently told that she wanted to be in the infantry in World War 2. Being the time period, and the fact that she was a woman, of course, she had to settle for something else military-related-a clerical job of course. I myself have actually wanted to be in a combat or military police role since I was thirteen-yes it started in the timid Giggles days, believe it or not! As did my grandmother, I'm settling for what I am allowed to do-security in the state defense force-which I honestly would say is probably a bigger step than from what she was ever allowed. Once I've got my degree, which is hopefully this summer, I'm hoping to get into the big upcoming thing-cyber defense for the military or Homeland Security-all while keeping up to date with wildland and volunteer firefighting and search and rescue, of course! People like my grandmother and me may never have been given a chance to do what we are truly capable of-but hopefully we can begin to open doors and begin to get the message across. That's the point of the Indigo Children such as myself-to break down barriers!
In honor of my grandmother, here is one of the most beautiful songs ever written:

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...