Saturday, March 24, 2018

Autism and Search and Rescue/Disaster Response


I want to spread the word to the autism community about many things that pertain to this population. Not only that, I wish to reach out to this community and see if anyone is interested in my fields of interest. I want to strongly encourage able-bodied men and women with autism to consider becoming involved in search and rescue, disaster response, enlistment in their state defense force (if their state has one), etc. The reasons for this are numerous. A main one would be that many searches are for autistic children- a team member with autism would know what to do and what not to do. This would also pertain to dealing with autistics in the aftermath of a disaster, in particular should an autistic child become separated from their family during a tornado, flood, civil unrest, etc. Autistic team members would be invaluable for this.
I am not going to sugarcoat this and say that it is easy work. It is not. There are times of great stress that must be taken into consideration, and I understand that many may have difficulties in dealing with such. However, I believe that we can easily assert ourselves and make known what we can and cannot easily do. For example, maybe being out in the field would be a better choice for an autistic team member than sitting at a desk in a hectic staging area. I believe that we all have something that can be brought to the table. That being said, again, this is not easy work and I do not want anyone to feel pressured into something that is going to be more than they can handle.
As a Criminal Justice major, I also wish to bring attention to the fact that at least in the state of Ohio, peace officers are required to take courses on how to recognize autism. I personally think it would be wonderful if we could have actual autistic people come in and teach those courses. Again, actual autistic people would know what to do and what not to do. There have been instances in which autistic individuals have gotten in trouble with the law, simply because the officers were not trained to recognize autism. I personally think that it could be amazing if we eventually could have autistics who could do ride-alongs with law enforcement in the case that they would come upon an autistic individual. Frankly, I'm all for having them as sworn officers eventually (it has been said that being a park ranger could make sense for someone with autism) but again, that would not be for everyone.
If this is indeed something that someone would want to get involved with, please check out these organizations to start with:
www.ohiospecialresponseteam.org
A broad based response unit able to respond to a variety of emergencies and disasters in support of civil authories for Ohio search and rescue.
http://www.ohiosar.com/
www.ohiosar.com
Search and Rescue Ohio based in Central Ohio. An Ohio Search and Rescue Team.
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/
www.gocivilairpatrol.com
CAP is the official auxiliary of the United States Air Force and a 501 (c)3 non-profit organization. CAP supports America’s communities with emergency/disaster ...
http://oko.ohmr.ohio.gov/join/index.php
oko.ohmr.ohio.gov
The official State Defense Force for the State of Ohio. No combat. No foreign deployment. Ages 17 - 60.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...