My own testimony: My own denial, I believe, in some ways even held me
back for many, many years. When I was finally able to "come out" to
myself, first and foremost...it set me free. I'm writing this so that
others will make the right decision and not have the experience that I
did.
We're still over a month away from Pride Month, but this is on my mind and I want to give some words of encouragement:
If ANYONE is struggling with coming to terms with the fact that they are lesbian/gay,
I understand. I understand that for some, "coming out" to
family/friends isn't even in the question, due to acceptance,
situational, religious, etc. reasons.
But you owe it to YOURSELF to
eventually admit it. Even if it's just silently to yourself. It will be
like a weight is lifted from your shoulders. Mark my words. It will help
YOU.
For those of you who can't "come out" because you're in a
circle that you know will not be accepting, for me to just say "I'm so
sorry" isn't enough. If you are in a situation that you believe will be
unsafe, I know it may be difficult, but do what you can to get out. Are
there any accepting friends, families, acquaintances, etc. that you know
you'll be able to crash with if worst does come to worst and your
family isn't accepting?
But overall, take the plunge and admit it.
To yourself. Just take a few deep breaths and say, in your head, "Hey!
I'm gay/lesbian...and I'm proud of it." You'll feel like a literal
weight has been lifted. Trust me. And then, if the situation is
safe..."come out" to your family and friends. Chances are, you might be
pleasantly surprised!
No comments:
Post a Comment