On a whim, I decided to take one last class at Columbus State Community College after getting my AAS in Criminal Justice, before going off to OSU this Fall. The class I chose ended up being Classical Mythology, and let's just say that it's been interesting...in many ways. While many have, ahem, mixed feelings about the professor, I have learned quite a bit from the assigned readings and the study of the deities.
While before this, I naturally had an understanding of the major Greek gods-i.e. Zeus, Apollo, Athena, Artemis, Poseidon, etc.-because hell, it doesn't matter your beliefs, heritage, or where you're from, who doesn't know about those gods?-but I never really dove into the depths.
Being of Irish, English, and Dutch ancestry, the pantheon I'm drawn to is naturally Celtic-and they're drawn to me as well. And they will always be my first and foremost gods and goddesses!
But after a couple of weeks delving into the assigned reading-Hesiod, Homer, etc., I became very close with Artemis and Athena. I had actually done some brief work with Artemis, the Virgin Huntress before, even seeing her as a personification of Autism, but this stuff really skyrocketed my interest in her. And it makes sense. I'm an independent outdoorswoman and an asexual, like her. We have so much in common.
I also relate very much to Athena, the Goddess of War and Wisdom - being a female soldier and an intellectual. (I had had no idea though, that she was also a "virgin" goddess...and I WANT to die that way...) Athena is also one of the most powerful Olympians, serving as a messenger between Zeus, the Father of the Gods, and the Mortals. And oh my, is she helping me step into my power. "Keep up what you're doing" she said, when I asked her in a meditation how I could use my warrior spirit and my intellect to my advantage. Artemis also gave me some great tips when I asked her if I could also use my athletic prowess to an advantage. I've had the feeling of her putting her hands on my abdomen as I'm lying down-I've been told by someone that I have an energy blockage in my uterus that is likely a result of my PTSD and trauma-and she's healing it.
I want to say that I got a very sweet, uplifting Facebook message from a lady that's a member of a Facebook group that I belong to (I've never met her!) I started a debate over abortion and a woman's right to choose (I am very, very, pro-choice!) and somewhat opened up a can of worms. But it turns out that this lady just that morning-that morning-had asked Artemis, protector of women, to assist her in fighting for "a woman's right to choose!" She also said that my strong, powerful voice is an inspiration. How interesting. (Also, this woman is also devoted to the Celtic pantheon-not Greek. Artemis came to her anyways!)
Overall, I want to say that I'm happy I ended up taking this class, and finding Artemis and Athena, even though I'm Celtic. Really-I'm very pleased. And I really enjoyed Homer's The Odyssey as well, particularly the part toward the end where Athena became "more than a goddess" to Odysseus-she became his equal. And that's how I've always seen the gods. They don't want to be worshipped-they want to be honored-and in return, we gain their mutual respect and honor as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment