I was diagnosed with an Autism Programming (I refuse to say “disorder”) as a small child. In a world that still does not understand this neurotype, where many of these individuals, many of whom possess IQs of approximately 200, are still sadly dehumanized and underestimated, there is indeed much discouragement for so many of these people.
However, Autism could indeed have played an integral role in our ancient society. I don’t remember where I read it, but it has been said that Autism may have evolved millennia ago in Europe, to give an advantage in hunting. If that is indeed true, think how essential these brains would have been in hunter-gatherer societies. It could be owed almost solely to Autism that our ancient ancestors didn’t starve.
And this is where Cernunnos, being a god of nature and the hunt, comes into play. Could the Horned God come into the Autism community as a symbol of Autism? I can imagine that many of these individuals could very well have invoked Him before a hunt. He could have guided these brains and minds for thousands of years.
The personification of Autism has come to me as Artemis, a beautiful woman with long red hair, pale skin, and freckles, carrying a bow and a spear. She is aloof, and you have to gain Her trust, but at the same time the power and intellect that she radiates is almost overwhelming – in a good way. And I can easily see the Horned God as Her consort. Either one could personify this neurotype.
As a young teen, my parents sent me to a camp in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina that appeared out of the blue. The camp catered to Autistic and ADHD children and teens, and focused on wilderness adventures – backpacking, camping, and climbing. It was at this camp that I discovered my love of the outdoors. I ended up attending this camp for seven years, and to this day, thanks to them I’m an outdoorswoman – to the point where I am certified as a Search and Rescue Technician and a Wildland Firefighter.
I believe that this camp has helped people reconcile with what Autism truly is – and it’s assisted many in accepting their neurotype, in a society where it is still greatly shunned. Looking back now, it’s at this camp that I first felt the presence of not only Autism, the Great Huntress, but of Her consort, Cernunnos, the Great Horned God.
Just the other day, I was sitting barefoot outdoors and I asked Cernunnos to give me a sign. I heard it instantly – the words STRONG, BRAVE BEAUTIFUL. I took these words as to what He sees me as. I believe that accepting Cernunnos is a metaphor for accepting a way of thinking that is still stigmatized in our society – and the first step in leading our society to accept it as well.
Autism is a way of thinking that has always been essential. Just as they could very well have played an integral part in ensuring that their tribe, clan, did not go hungry, in this day in age they are now, slowly but surely beginning to usher in the Cyber Age. In a world that is now completely and entirely dependent on technology – most of which was probably created by autistic brains – these are the best mindsets for cyber defense. These are, mark my words, the people that are going to end up having the last laugh.
Ancient hunters and twenty-first century cyber engineers may seem worlds apart. But they’re not. They are the same brains, the same mindsets. Just as the autistics kept the people fed, they will end up saving the world if, and sadly when, the cyber catastrophe comes. Mark my words.
Invoke Cernunnos and the Great Huntress anytime you do something that requires autistic traits – physical strength, stamina, attention to detail and high intellect. A small invocation of your choice, a small offering, a song. Celtic music and black/gothic metal is a great invocation. I also have discovered that Cernunnos enjoys libations of chocolate milk. Whoever knew!
Even before you march off to a twenty-first century cyber war, where everything technical has shut down, crowds are rioting…the police and the military have been called in…and it’s YOUR brain that can save the day…
Sit on the bare ground in nature if you can. Close your eyes, and imagine yourself, millennia ago, creeping through the wild, dark forests of Eurasia, spear in hand. Your sharp, focused mind sees the hoofprints on the ground – you can instantly identify what sort of deer it is. It is a great stag. Your sensitive ears can hear him foraging up ahead. You press on, your keen senses and attention to detail pressing you forward. Then you see Him – Cernunnos, the Horned One. Your hunt will be successful. Your life will be successful!
In conclusion, the Great Huntress and Cernunnos are aspects of Autism. Accept yourself, accept them – and vice versa. And by the way, neurotypicals can honor them too. They’ll assist anyone – and long as they keep an open mind and a respectful attitude!
No comments:
Post a Comment