Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Thoughts on Coronavirus

As I'm sure we all know by now, Coronavirus is completely out of whack. As for me? Well, OSU has suspended all face to face classes for the rest of March. My professor has emailed the class with the plan of action, and I'm not too worried.
But how worried should we be about Coronavirus? While I don't think we should let it run our lives, we do need to be vigilant. What's the best bet right now? Wash your hands whenever possible. Last weekend at drill, we were instructed at morning formation on exactly how to do it: while washing your hands, sing "Happy Birthday." Twice. We were informed that they wanted to hear singing coming from the latrines ALL DAY. Great choice, all! HOOAH! So, let's all take a leaf out of the Ohio Military Reserve's book! 
But seriously. Cough into your elbow-don't cover your mouth with your hand. Keep a good enough distance from people. And if you start to feel ill-quarantine. 
Let's not panic too hard-but let's not let loose. Me? I'm not too worried. Then again-I am an Indigo. I'm made to help and protect in disasters.
Is there a possibility that we'll be mobilized if worse comes to worse? Possibly. State Defense Forces are beginning to be taken more seriously. As some may know, the OHMR was called up for the first time in recent history last August to help with tornado debris clean up in Dayton. While I wasn't deployed (they knew about me starting classes at OSU and didn't want to interfere with that) I'm standing ready should the call come-and I hope we're all ready to do our part! My passing of my latest wildland fire pack test last week (3 mile walk in 45 minutes or less wearing a 45 pound pack) probably makes me more eligible for call out then ever.
But again. Let's keep washing our hands, stay a safe distance from everyone, and don't panic...but take this seriously enough. We've gotten through worse!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...