Thursday, March 26, 2020

New pet-Suicide Prevention Kitty

I had enough "pets" in my tiny apartment. I KNEW I had enough "pets." I wasn't going to get any more...
That changed when I stumbled across these "Suicide Prevention Floof Kitties" on Etsy. https://www.etsy.com/listing/725785824/floof-kitties-for-suicide-prevention?ref=yr_purchases
Upon reading the story of the shop, I knew that I just HAD to buy one. In a nutshell, the owners of the shop (who gave me permission to share their story) tragically and irreversibly lost their son and brother at the age of 18, right before his high school graduation. What struck a chord with me is that this young man was on the autism spectrum. As most autistics are, he was described as brilliant, and apparently ready to take on the world. But this changed.
As I've posted before, suicide is the leading cause of death for the two demographics that are nearest and dearest to me: autistics and military/first responders. I fit into both of those demographics. I'd be lying if I said that I have not had suicidal thoughts before. I am very willing to bet, that if Search and Rescue and the Ohio Military Reserve not come along when they did, I very likely would have at least attempted suicide-or quite possibly turned to drugs.
The system does indeed fail many. This young man is not the only one failed. My heart goes out to these people who lost their loved one-and everyone else as well who have had to go through the same experience. But...there *is* hope. If you are in crisis...SEEK HELP. 
What with the Ohio Military Reserve now being called up to assist with food distribution in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, while I am still on standby for deployment, I've thought long hours about..."what if the State of Ohio had needed me...and I was irreversibly gone forever?" Not to mention with wildfires growing at the rate that they are...what if I was needed for my firefighting capacity, and I wasn't here for that? What if...?
Today, after a VERY WORTH IT month long wait, my Suicide Prevention Floof Kitty, "Chatue Nekah Algogaian" ("My Blue Friend"-taught to me by a Shawnee friend of mine) arrived, and I truly could not be more delighted with him.   Not only are these kitties for a VERY GOOD CAUSE-all proceeds are donated to the American Foundation For Suicide Prevention-but they're adorable as well! They are worth every cent, and the wait (they are made to order and the quality is EXCELLENT!!!) is totally worth it! Want to support a great cause, AND bring home a new friend? Consider a Suicide Prevention Floof Kitty today! And remember...THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...