Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Anubis

Here it is Samhain Eve and I wanted to choose a "dark" deity for tonight, naturally. Last night, I had an inspiration...

Anubis
Pantheon: Egyptian
Patron of: The dead, embalming, the afterlife
 
Anubis is likely familiar to most, particularly those who have an interest in Egypt. An anthromorphic jackal, Anubis lords over death and the afterlife. He is said to have assisted with the embalming and mummification techniques of Ancient Egypt.
Through Scotia, the founding mother of the Gaelic Celts, I have a deep appreciation for Egypt, particularly the mystery surrounding her and her deities. 
Anubis is a death god, in sense he is also a god of new beginnings. "Death" does not always mean physical death-it can and does also mean new beginnings and rebirth. While holding this sculpture of him one night (you can get your own at Brigid's Grove on Etsy) I actually heard his voice in my head saying "You are your own worst enemy."
I think of Samhain as an end, and so also it is a beginning. (By the way, in honor of great-however-many-times-it-is grandma Scotia, Anubis and Sekhmet are currently perched on my Samhain altar :) There are many things that I believe that I will get accomplished in the upcoming year!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...