Of course, the biggest news is that I received my first award-Emergency Service Training Award-on Saturday afternoon after drill. The hours that I put in at Columbus State qualified me for it!
Before that, however, Saturday afternoon was spent in several medical classes-one on how to transport a patient with a spinal injury, one on how to aid a choking victim, and one on bleeding and shock.
I had learned to package an injured victim on a litter, carry them as well, in my class at Columbus State, but that was a few years ago, so it was GREAT to have a refresher! We then went outside and participated in a real-life scenario where a soldier from the medical detachment played the victim of a pedestrian hit and run, and, using teamwork, we had to treat her, "package" her on the litter, and transport her across the parking lot. A good time was had by all!
The other class was on how to deal with a victim of heavy bleeding and shock. This was also something that I was somewhat familiar with, but it was still great to have a refresher on it. We learned how to apply pressure on a wound, elevate the wound, and apply a tourniquet only as a last result. (Also, by the way, if someone has a severe abdominal wound and their insides are falling out, DO NOT attempt to push them back in! Just thought I'd throw that out there.)
Sunday I was tasked with MANY cleaning missions, and was glad to help. I was also tasked with helping with some reports. It was said to me that they "wouldn't assign just anyone to such a task. We need someone with brains"-so that really meant a lot to me.
I'm really happy, overall, to have received my award. It really meant a lot to me that I was given such an award, and I'm such my professors at Columbus State would be happy too-it was through them that I qualified for the award!

No comments:
Post a Comment