What an eventful drill weekend with the Ohio Military Reserve!
As some may know, as of yesterday I have officially moved out of the Security Section and am now a member of the S-3 Planning and Training Section. From the way it's looking, it's going to be fun!
Saturday was quite an interesting day. Since it was my first day with the S-3 shop, I was to mainly listen, learn and see how it's done. What do you know, at morning formation they announced that there would be an active shooter drill that day! The drill happened without warning that morning-you hear shots, you're to lock and barricade the doors and move as far away from the door as possible. That's exactly what we did, and it was somewhat exciting, but maybe that's just because it was only a drill and not the real thing.
That afternoon was spent training on how to guard and challenge an intruder, as well as control entry and exit from a restricted point, and did we have a hot day for it! It still was good to get out and moving around however, an opportunity that I didn't get to have too much with my former post.
But the highlight of everything was the PT test later that day-only announced that morning, so it was done in BDU trousers and boots! However, that kind of is the idea-if we're deployed, we'll be running in said attire anyway, so may as well get used to it. I wasn't too happy with my mile run time, it being nine minutes instead of my usual seven, but I would imagine that the boots and trousers certainly had something to do with that, not to mention the heat. Between the guard lessons and PT, I am now naturally sunburned being the colleen that I am :D.
Sunday was, as usual quieter, and the day was spent talking about and getting to know the S-3 section. I can't wait for AT in September because it is going to be very different this year and a lot of fun!
Overall it looks like fun so far. It's been a great run with Security, but I'm glad to be getting a new taste for things-and expanding my horizons!
No comments:
Post a Comment