Jenna's Book Club
Trista Hendren, Pat Daly, and Noor-un-nisa Gretasdottir had the right idea to compile an anthology of stories, memoirs, and poetry from women raised in Christian and Islamic backgrounds, now looking to find the Divine Feminine in said religions. Regardless of your own beliefs, "Jesus, Muhammad, and the Goddess: a Girl God Anthology" is certainly a worthwhile read for open-minded women, men as well.
I'm not saying that I agree with EVERYTHING that these women write about. Some of these writings do get a bit too much on the extreme side. There is quite a bit about how "if God was a woman, there would be nothing but peace on Earth," etc.
That being said, I do get that many, many women from Christian, Islamic, and Jewish backgrounds have been incredibly hurt by those "patriarchal" religions. I will even say that I have heard individuals say that no women could ever be true Christians, Jews, or Muslims-those religions were created for men only. No wonder that many (formerly?) Abrahamic women have gone searching for the "Goddess" and the "Divine Feminine" aspect of their faiths.
I don't agree that if our global monotheistic faith was changed from "God" to "Goddess" all the war, poverty, famine, greed, etc. would stop and there would be nothing but peace, love, and kindness. No, not at all. What about goddesses such as Morrigan, goddess of death and destruction, and Macha, goddess of war and sovereignty? (Both of those goddesses have been with me since my birth, by the way!) It is, however, extremely interesting to read the voices of several different women looking to reclaim the Feminine in "patriarchal" Abrahamic traditions.
Much of these writings are about the atrocities that were carried out in the name of Christianity and Islam-and the shame that they bring to Jesus and Muhammad themselves. It's been said, "Christians can say what they what, but pagans and Wiccans didn't kill thousands of innocent people in the Crusade, nor burn tons of powerful women at the stake." A few writings are about Jesus and Muhammad looking sadly from the Otherworld on the wars, killings, and terrorism being done in their names. One of the best writings I have ever seen is "Paradise Cafe" by Marilyn McFarlane, which you can find in this book. Another one I found interesting was the account of a Muslim woman on the dream she had as a child on meeting Mother Mary-or Maryam, to her-during the Last Judgement, and how she's honored her ever since.
Some also may be familiar with the tale of Lilith, the first wife of Adam before Eve, who was thrown out of Paradise when she refused to submit to him.
I myself never deny my Christian roots. I sincerely agree that it truly could have been the most beautiful religion, and am heartbroken on how it's been used as an excuse for so much atrocities. And, as a matter of fact, the early Christians (Gnostics) as a matter of fact very much did believe in the Divine Feminine. The "Holy Spirit" is actually believed to be the feminine aspect of the Holy Trinity-the Goddess Sophia.
Below you will see my picture of my Story Goddess sculpture of Mary Magdalene from Brigid's Grove on Etsy. Mary Magdalene has been negatively portrayed as a "fallen woman," however some believe now that she was, in fact, the wife of Jesus and the mother of his daughter...who was the actual "Holy Grail." She is believed to have also been an embodiment of the Divine Feminine in early, "true" Christianity.
Of course I'm close with many Celtic goddesses-"Brigid, Danu, Morrigan, and Macha in particular. I also know that I have felt the presence of Mother Mary (Maithar Maire), and I could swear that I have seen her silhouette a time or two. Some insist that she protects Irish women in particular.
I am certainly lucky that I don't live in the Bay Colony, as this would most certainly get me hung, but it also recently came to me to honor Anne Hutchinson as the Divine Feminine aspect of my Puritan background. If you ask me, if you can even find the Divine Feminine in Puritan roots-you can find her anywhere. She's always been there. And she's just waiting for you to come to her.
Listen.
I taste of roses
And hidden wisdom
I have been shrouded in secrecy
But I emerge to remind you to
Dance with the goddess
Circle with your sisters
Let everyday magic
ripple through your fingers
Attend to the mystery
You are your own holy grail.
I taste of roses
And hidden wisdom
I have been shrouded in secrecy
But I emerge to remind you to
Dance with the goddess
Circle with your sisters
Let everyday magic
ripple through your fingers
Attend to the mystery
You are your own holy grail.
(Credit goes to Molly from Brigid's Grove.)


No comments:
Post a Comment