Monday, June 11, 2018

A Wrinkle In Time

Jenna's Movie Reviews
Jenna attempts to get our good friend BB-8 to teach her to tesser...whoops, BB-8 is from the wrong movie! 
 
I remember reading "A Wrinkle In Time" by Madeline L'Engle as a child and absolutely loving it. Not only that, I have heard several neurodivergent individuals claiming that "A Wrinkle In Time is about neurodivergent kids...reading it as a neurodivergent child myself, I felt like I could really relate to the characters."
When I saw the trailer for the recently released movie, I was blown away by the cinematics and the music, but upon reading, many, many negative reviews of the movie, I hesitated on going to see it. However, in the end I ended up renting it on iTunes anyway-and overall, am I glad that I did!
First of all, I am going to say again that the CGI and scenery is absolutely breathtaking! 
      This planet makes me feel distant memories of Tir Nan Og!
However, what I want to harp on is the overall emphasis on "differences" and how there's often more than meets the eye. Meg Murry is an extremely socially awkward teen girl, with incredibly low self-esteem. She's the daughter of two rocket scientists, and wonders how someone as "stupid" as her can have genius parents. Her father has been missing for several years, and it's up to Meg, her child prodigy brother Charles Wallace, their friend Calvin, and three mysterious ladies to go out into the universe and rescue him.
People who are "different" are often the ones who end up saving the day. All too often, we see "different abilities" as "disabilities." This book was written many, many years ago (1960's) and it's very interesting that L'Engle seems to have quite a modern mindset and ability to "think outside the box"-even ahead of our own time in many ways, actually- when it comes to "different abilities." Like the big question today: are autistics going to end up saving the world if and unfortunately likely when the cyber catastrophe comes?
I do remember my fond childhood memories of the book, and I do agree with the negative movie reviews that they did leave too much out. I'm planning on reading the book again-it's on my Kindle!    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...