Saturday, October 22, 2016

Why I am not...

running in the Turkey Trot this year:
Last year, on their website, the wording was, "We are proud to be a supporter of Easter Seals and their fight to end autism."
Oh, I still ran. But I wore a sign pinned to my back: "End autism?! You mean put us back in the caves???"
This year it is slightly different. The wording is now "fight autism"...slightly better, but still degrading.
Words like this imply that autism MUST be cured...not necessarily in the best interest of the individual, but of the comfort of our fearful, prejudiced society who insist that only ONE matter of neurological programming is valid, and all others must be forced to conform, for the good of our own world.
When I found out the the Easter Seals Autism Program is in turn praised by Autism Speaks (who shamelessly does not hide the fact that they are attempting to eradicate autism...) that's it. I am not signing up to run this year.
I have several medals from the Turkey Trot, and many times I have come in the Top 1000 and received a pumpkin pie. There will be no medal this year, no pie...but I am not going to support any organization that would say "end autism."
Shameful...out of all the things in the world that there SHOULD be a cure for...cancer, AIDS, Ebola...and we are ignoring truly tragic conditions and instead attempting to eradicate autism...which only gave us some of the greatest mindsets of all time.
 
Pet's name: Just Breathe Easy
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...