Thursday, October 27, 2016

HS update

I've said it before about a certain picture in my Homeland Security textbook: which shows a lynching of two young black men...
We finally got to that picture last night, and our instructor was not shy in telling us how he felt about seeing that image. It's not the image of the two black men hanging from the tree that gets to him that much. It's the crowd in the foreground...men, women and children (including couples on dates) smiling and laughing-just as people at football and basketball games do today.
I understand exactly where he's coming from-people like me are not much for showing emotions, but believe me, even if I don't seem like it, this stuff just sickens me as well...
And as I've said before, I hope-and I KNOW-that one day in the future, the way that those thought to be "disabled" are treated today, will be JUST as shocking and appalling. I have a longer post on this a few pages back-please see it. Things change. People's views change. And one day in the future, everyone will look back on the treatment of those with "disabilities" today-being denied meaningful educations, meaningful employment, enlistment into the armed forces...and be just as ashamed on behalf of the human race.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...