Monday, October 24, 2016

More previews: Burning Times!

 “And…fifty! Ow!” I collapsed, panting, onto the mat. Sweat ran into my eyes, and damn, I couldn’t feel my bloody arms. But still, I felt good. Like I had accomplished something. An hour on the treadmill, two hundred sit ups, and fifty push ups, two successful fire tours in a row, and I know I am ready to achieve my goal-no scratch that, my dream. But what will others think? Will they know that I am capable? Or will they simply see me as a label-like the whole world had for so long?

 "She's only served two tours of duty, but Chief, she's the best firefighter we've ever seen...you are crazy if you don't let her onto CAL Fire!"

"Mercy Hopkins? Did you come over on the Mayflower, rookie?"


 "My kid just got on CAL Fire as well. She's going to get him fucking killed. Autistic firefighters-damn this world is going to the dogs. What are they going to let them into next-the fucking Marines!  Autistics aren't mentally or emotionally fit to be fighting fires! If she wants to do her part, give her a broom and give her a job sweeping around the station. But if CAL Fire lets her place one foot on the fireline, I will totally lose all respect for that organization...and I will demand that my son quit his job before she costs him his goddamn life!"

"Mercy, just know that you are an inspiration! You are paving the way for so many determined young men and women! Thousands of people are right there behind you!"

"There is always a risk in firefighting! Having an autistic firefighter on the crew should not raise or lower that risk any more significantly than it already is!"

"Never forget your middle name, Mercy...Maeve. You are named after your ancestor, the great warrior queen. Never forget who you are, and that you can do anything that you set your mind to."

"Fifty years ago, all of you would have been throwing a fit because I am a WOMAN firefighter!"

"You're one of us, Mayflower...you're one of us."



   

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...