Saturday, October 22, 2016

Story in the making: Burning Times!

I'm working on this one for advocacy. Here's a preview!

 Main Characters: 

Mercy Maeve Hopkins: Seasonal temporary wildland firefighter, fighting hard to become the first autistic firefighter on CAL Fire, and struggling with the decision of how and when to come out as pagan to her Puritan father and her Irish Catholic mother. 

Rose Maguire: Mercy’s best friend, African-American, who has grown up hearing her grandparents’ stories of racial discrimination and determined to help her friend fight for her rights to the end, while chasing her own dreams to work for NASA. 

Taylor Larsen: Recent recruit onto CAL Fire, quickly befriends Mercy through a mutual love of basketball, but struggles with the desire to please his father, who is verbally abusive and driven by ignorance. 

 “And…fifty! Ow!” I collapsed, panting, onto the mat. Sweat ran into my eyes, and damn, I couldn’t feel my bloody arms. But still, I felt good. Like I had accomplished something. An hour on the treadmill, two hundred sit ups, and fifty push ups, two successful fire tours in a row, and I know I am ready to achieve my goal-no scratch that, my dream. But what will others think? Will they know that I am capable? Or will they simply see me as a label-like the whole world had for so long? 


Pet's name: Just Breathe Easy
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...