I recently had the chance to speak with two extremely sweet men about their beliefs and mine. They are evangelical Christians, and me-well I have Pagan on my dog tags.
Our conversations and debates were extremely interesting and deep. But in a way, do I somewhat feel sorry for such people? The answer is yes.
I was somewhat surprised to find how how deep the beliefs of these guys ran. It both did and didn't shock me when they began discussing the Tribulations and the one world government that many, many fundamentalist Christians believe in.
Do I believe that religion, particularly Christianity is actually a control system? Yes, I do. Who do I believe Jesus really was and what was he really attempting to do? The answer is teach the world how they COULD do what he did...not demand that he be worshiped. The true teachings and motives of Jesus, my belief is, were hidden and twisted by the ruling elite.
If you really think about, the two guys that I was talking to and I weren't all that different. We share other things in common, such as skateboarding and classic rock :) and although our belief systems may seem a world apart, really they're not.
They believe in globalism and a one world government-I also believe in the ruling elite, but not in the way that they do.
Many Christians say "When I found Jesus, He set me free." My own faith set me free. I never, never, deny my own Christian heritage (Catholic and Puritan-now you know why I'm "not all there.") However, my first call to the Tuatha De Danann is what set me "free." The joy and solemnity of observing my first Samhain-dressing up, carving a face into a turnip instead of a pumpkin just like my people did before they came to America, sitting and meditating in the dark, and of course my beautiful contact with my beautiful great-times many grandfather-Fiachra, last pagan king of Ireland, and brother of Niall of the Nine Hostages. The joy and beauty of Imbolc, making a tactical paracord Brideog (stop laughing) and putting out my dog tags for Brigid to bless. The first time I felt the call of Morrigan, who has always been with me, and heard her voice "You are a warrior, and you must never let anyone tell you otherwise." The first time I heard the voice of Danu-"You a never alone, a stor." Being outside and feeling the heartbeat of the Earth. Uplifting songs full of hope, joy and power. All of the above mentioned was "coming home" for me.
Please see Jenna's Book Club post on "Jesus, Muhammed and the Goddess" from a couple of months ago if you haven't already. Lots of great stuff in there!
We are now just a day away from Mabon, the Autumn Equinox. One of my favorite days. A time of the descent into the darkness, but also of reflecting on yourself-what do you like and dislike? What can you better? Blessed Be!
No comments:
Post a Comment