Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Check out this Penal Pagan Rosary I just made for myself. It's made from green and brown yarn-to match my state guard BDU's (woodland camo.) And it just happened that I had a pentacle lying around that was purple-my favorite color. And as a shout out to my heritage, I made it in the vein of the Penal Irish Catholic Rosary-"An Paidrin Beag."
 Related image
During the English occupation of Ireland, every effort was taken to stamp out Catholicism. (Please note that I have NOTHING against England-I'm proud of my English heritage on my paternal grandfather and one great-grandmother's side-yes I also do honor several English deities.) Individuals possessing a Catholic rosary could be arrested- or worse. To remedy this, Irish Catholics begun designing a new type of rosary. The crucifix was made slimmer to easily be concealed up a sleeve, and a ring was attached to the other side to hook over the thumb while the "Our Father" was discreetly being prayed. So as you can see, I attached my purple pentacle onto one end of the rope (knotted with the traditional nine knots), and a ring from an old keychain on the other side!
Since this hearkens back to the persecution of Irish Catholics, I also believe that a "penal pagan rosary" would be a good symbol of the persecution and discrimination that pagans and Wiccans have had to face and still do in this day and age-and the fight to overcome them. Many of us do indeed have Irish Catholic roots, including myself, and I thought that this was a wonderful way to express not only those, but also the faith that we practice now!       

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...