Friday, April 13, 2018

Autism, ADHD, anxiety and skateboarding

As a hobby of mine, I believe that skateboarding/longboarding is very therapeutic, particularly for those that have autism, anxiety, and depression. Don't take my word for it-a mother of an autistic child set up a program called "Shredding on the Spectrum" a program that teaches therapeutic skateboarding to autistic children and teens. This program has been said to work wonders, and a few parents have even claimed that their previously nonverbal child spoke their first words on a skateboard. As I said, I can vouch that skateboarding and longboarding is extremely therapeutic. It's helped me get a lot of my anxiety and anger out.
If you want to try it, what kind of skateboard should you get? If you want to go to an actual skatepark and learn tricks, then a regular skateboard is your best bet. If you want to bomb hills, or just cruise around, get a longboard. There are different types of longboards for cruising, carving, bombing hills, etc., so decide what your specialty is and get a board to suit your interests.
As an early Beltane present, I received a Nickel Board in "Galactic Glow"-white and purple glow in the dark! Nickel boards are a longer style of the 22 inch Penny Boards, which are fun but not the best choice for a beginner, due to their small size. It also takes some getting used to stability on a Penny Board-that's why I would honestly recommend a Nickel Board, particularly if you're just starting out. Penny and Nickel Boards are a good choice for riders who mainly wish to cruise. I'm hoping to ride mine around my college campus once it's broken in a bit!
Overall, I highly recommend taking up skateboarding and/or longboarding as a therapeutic outlet. Don't just buy any board-as said, decide which you're mostly going to be doing-tricks, cruising, or hills-and go from there. Many recommend that you go to a skate shop and ask to stand on boards, etc.-you'll find one which suits your fancy.
If you mainly want to cruise, look up Nickel Boards!        

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...