As we all know, for quite a few years now April has been designated as Autism Awareness Month. The campaign has been "Light it up blue!" Landmarks around the world have been lit up blue. People have marched through the streets dressed in blue. "Help us find a cure! Autism awareness!" has been the cry.
But a few have retaliated. Instead of autism awareness, they've said, let's have autism acceptance! For the past few years, many have foregone blue for "Red Instead" for autism acceptance, rather than blue for awareness!
During the month of April-particularly April 2nd, World Autism Day, I invite everyone to partake in "Red Instead!" Wear red clothing, jewelry, paint your nails red, do whatever! Sadly for me, I don't get to celebrate April 2nd too much as I'll be at my first drill weekend with the Ohio Military Reserve-although I WAS able to get red camo silencers for my dog tags!
However, what I am going to do is, every day for the month of April I will post on this blog a short piece featuring a famous autistic person-mostly historical figures that likely were on the spectrum, but a few living people that have been diagnosed, maybe even a couple of fictional characters! It may be something about them, a quote, picture, video, etc.
I also have a "Red Instead" bracelet and "Neurodiversity" necklace that I will wear both of for the whole month of April as well! Check out these sites for similar jewelry. Support autistic run businesses!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/SpacerobotStudio
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ruthdoodle
No comments:
Post a Comment