Friday, March 17, 2017
Asatru
It has been brought to my attention recently that there has been some controversy over some actions taken by leaders in the Asatru (German paganism) community. Apparently this was posted on their Facebook page a while back:
Today we are bombarded with confusion and messages contrary to the values of our ancestors and our folk. The AFA would like to make it clear that we believe gender is not a social construct, it is a beautiful gift from the holy powers and from our ancestors. The AFA celebrates our feminine ladies, our masculine gentlemen and, above all, our beautiful white children. The children of the folk are our shining future and the legacy of all those men and women of our people back to the beginning. Hail the AFA families, now and always!
Racist, homophobic? Many say yes. I agree.
Asatru in no way promotes racism, homophobia, and xenophobia. However, all too many white supremacists have used this religious background to hide behind; and a few nutjobs have ruined a truly beautiful culture and heritage for so many who simply wished to honor their ancient ancestors and their gods.
Let me get this across: Anyone can be attracted to any deity, from any pantheon. However, more often then not, it is the gods of one's own ancestors that one is attracted to. I agree with that. I know now that from birth I have been marked by Morrigan, as well as Brigid, Dagda, Lugh, Danu, and Nuada. Morrigan was my first ancestral goddess to come to me-and to this day she remains a big part of my life. And, if it is snowing outside (like today!) I can also feel a pull to Odin, Thor, Freya, and Skadi. That being said, however, you DO NOT need to have a certain heritage to worship certain deities. I'm a big fan of Artemis, and I'm not Greek!
That being said, however, individuals have twisted this. "Only white people can worship Nordic gods," has been said. As I said, bullshit-hell, if you're black or Native American and you feel as if Odin is calling you, listen! The deities will call upon anyone that they feel needs them-more often than not, it is someone who has the blood of someone who would have worshiped (and I don't like the word "worshiped" either, the gods actually want us to think of ourselves as their equals) them, but it doesn't have to be.
They also don't care if you are straight, gay, bi, asexual, trans, or nonbinary, either, FYI. Hell, Odin apparently assumed the form of a woman many times! Was the All Father a crossdresser himself in a way?
To my Heathen friends (something tells me I probably have Heathen family members on both my grandfathers' sides)-don't let hateful idiots like this discourage you. Walk tall and strong with the Aesir. Hail!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Six Triple Eight
Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...
-
Yule gift Zoey, adopted from the Ohio Craft Museum. She and I have planned many adventures for 2025! Made by Olivia's Kloset. Hope that...
-
I recently returned from a five day "silent retreat" to Gethsemani Abbey in the gorgeous foothills of Kentucky. Home of some dev...
No comments:
Post a Comment