Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Slumberkins review

 


UPDATE: Hattie's name has been changed to Ymir!!!
Hattie (Crazy Aunt Hattie) the Yeti :)
Introducing the product catered to small children...that is also what every state soldier and college student needs. 
Do I sound silly? Actually I'm completely serious. I received my Yeti Snuggler from Slumberkins last week for Yule, and let me tell you, it was a terrific investment made in this college student/state soldier/grown-ass woman. 
While these products are indeed catered towards small children (and "caregivers"), frankly, I'd recommend them to anyone, regardless of age, who needs a great sensory/grounding experience. For example, Yeti was picked for me because she focuses on "Mindfulness," which, if you ask me, was the perfect one for me to start off on. Mindfulness practices have been recommended to me by several therapists and spiritual leaders. I've been practicing it for years and have gotten somewhat better at it, particularly since making Dark Yoga, as well as the honor of the Rokkr/Jotuns, a big part of my life. However, Crazy Aunt Hattie (what I named my Yeti) has helped it spring off more in the week that I've had her. 
The night that I received her, I will shamelessly say that my grown woman who attends the Ohio State University and serves in the Ohio Military Reserve ass, actually didn't let her go for hours! She's a terrific sensory/tactile/grounding tool, and again, as I said, she right away inspired me to do a quick breathing/grounding exercise. Before I put her down, I had to email a former mentor of mine, who is an Army psychologist, not to mention a survivor of the Fort Hood massacre, to recommend these for her clients...and herself as well (she is not quiet in telling people about how she never has never gotten over her trauma, and suffers to this day.) The next day, I took her to my parents' house to show my uncle, who was coming over for Christmas dinner! My uncle struggles greatly with depression and mental health and has for years, and I had a feeling that he may be interested in a Slumberkin (or Snuggler) of his own one day. 
I actually quite like Hattie being a "Snuggler" as opposed to a regular plushie. Not only can she be folded up and not take up any room, but again, she's great to hold and feel for grounding and sensory support.  Are these just for babies and small children? NO! Regardless of age, I would recommend them to *anyone* who feels they need one...or several. My C-PTSD and BPD have made me dependent on things that many would feel somewhat "infantile" but we need to normalize healthy coping methods for adults with said struggles. Hey, it's better than cutting, binge drinking, sitting in my car and crying...all of which that I used to do. I believe that products like these could be a step in a good direction.
Again, I look forward to working on meditation and mindfulness with Hattie. Not only for calming and self-regulation, but for my Volva and utiseid practices, which I hope to seriously dive into in the New Year. (BTW, I see where they teamed up with mindfulness guru Deepak Chopra to make videos on meditations. Kudos to them! I have been aware of Chopra, but had never watched his videos before, but having watched their video with him focusing on Yeti...it's only six minutes long and left me feeling terrific!)
Combing through the Slumberkins Facebook page, I saw where someone posted asking if they would ever consider a similar line, but geared towards older children and/or adults. I would love to encourage this! Adults with mental health issues, including, but not limited to, PTSD, borderline personality disorder, anxiety, depression, addiction, etc. could benefit *greatly* from such a line!
I may or may not have just splurged and ordered myself a Misfit Lynx (greatly discounted due to it being a "Misfit.") I am sure that, if I did indeed just do such a thing ;) they'll quickly find a good home here!
One of these days...I am *so* getting the Hammerhead. Not only does it have a good message for me-anger management-(I can be impulsive) but talk about raising vibrations. I don't know if it's the face...but I look at the picture of it and can't stop giggling! It's no question going to be my next one! We'll be unstoppable!


    

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...