Ramblings and ruminations on working with Anubis in the New Year:
In
the past year, I've become quite a fan of Anubis, the Egyptian god of
death. Okay, as you can see I own a "Story God" of him (see my post on
my "Word of the Year" goddess for info on where you can get your
own-just keep in mind that they're closed for a few weeks currently)-and
a plushie as well, because I'm a sucker.
I'm sure most people reading this know a least a bit about Anubis-he is, after all, one of the
most popular Egyptian gods there is-but anyway, Anubis is an
anthromorphic jackal who lords over death. He was also strongly
associated with the embalming and mummification process as well.
I'm
glad Anubis has wanted to come into my life and work with me. Some
might think he's a frightening, intimidating god-but I don't see him as
that way. Rather, he's a strong protector-and as a death god, he also
lords over new beginnings. "Death" isn't always physical death-it's an
endless cycle. When something old passes away, the way is paved for the
new. I see Anubis as, actually, the metaphor for the end of my negative
old habits and letting go of what no longer serves me in the New Year. I
believe that he also resonates perfectly with my Morrigan!
As a
canine god, Anubis also symbolizes loyalty and protection. Loyalty is
somewhat of an issue for me-I'm not naturally a hugely loyal person. But
he teaches me: what do I have to be more loyal to? My answer is,
myself-who I REALLY am, not who society wants me to be. And while I no
longer have to play the role of the "dog to kick," which is how I felt
in the Giggles days, I should forgive my abusers. Indeed, I have heard
His voice saying to me, "You are your own worst enemy." And also-am I
pushing away people who could end up being really terrific allies for
myself?
I'm going to say this-the Egyptian gods also love working
with Gaels-it was, after all, Scotia, the daughter of the Pharaoh that
was the founding mother of the Irish Gaels! (If you want to see another
one I like, look up Sekhmet! Basically the Egyptian Morrigan!)
As
you can see, Jenna got her picture taken with Anubis! It's not every
day that one gets a photo opportunity with the god of death and
embalming, but she is still unimpressed. (It can't help that Anubis is
close friends with that horrible lady Bastet, who has the NERVE to say
that she is the Goddess of Cats, when we all KNOW that that title
actually goes to Jenna!)


No comments:
Post a Comment