We've all heard people say, and I'm sure that there are as a matter of
fact individuals reading this that feel the same way: "When I found
Jesus, He set me free." "Jesus broke all my chains." Etc. And I
personally think it's terrific for those people that they found peace
and freedom-especially in a leader and role model as great as Jesus.
However, I do feel sorry for them-the "born again Christians" (and also
those that were raised Christian-maybe them even more so)-that they then
all too often see non-Christians as "in need of saving" or "people in
bondage." I read not too long ago about a young evangelical Christian
man who was on a trip to Israel and ran into several Orthodox Jews. He
noticed how they kept the Sabbath, didn't turn on electricity from
sundown on Friday to Saturday, followed their strict dress codes and
dietary restrictions-and he wrote that it "hurt him" to see how their
religion "kept them bound in chains and they needed to be set free."
I will say, as many may know, one of my mentors from the Autism
community is in fact an Orthodox Jewish religious leader. He does indeed
keep the strict kosher dietary laws and dress code. On the Sabbath, he
won't turn on his electricity, he won't drive, etc. And in no way-I mean
NO WAY-has he EVER come across to me as "in bondage" "in chains" and
"in need of saving." His Jewish faith is indeed his source of peace and
freedom and I am approximately 99.9 percent sure that he would gladly
die before he gave it up.
I've wrote so many frigging posts about
the "Giggles" days-and my crippling fear in those days. My fear of metal
music, violent games, fighting, etc. I strongly believed that pagans
and Wiccans were pure evil and would certainly go to hell. I thought
*I* was going to hell because I was, indeed, lesbian. Now I realize that
I was in bondage-and those were pretty much wasted years of my life.
What set me free? Shaking off the chains of organized religion. Finding
the Tuatha De Danann-and the Goddess. Not long ago, I was so terrified
of them. Now all I feel is peace, love, power and strength radiating
from myself-in lieu of the blatant fear I lived in in the Giggles days.
Being outside and feeling the heartbeat of the Earth. Observing my
first Samhain, carving a face into a turnip, and catching a fleeting
glimpse of my awesome ancestor, Fiachra Ua Dubhda, brother of Niall of
the Nine Hostages and last pagan king of Ireland(!) Making my tactical
paracord Brideog for Imbolc and leaving my dog tags out for Brigid to
bless. Morrigan saying to me-"You are a warrior-and you must never let
anyone tell you otherwise." Danu saying "You are never alone, a stor."
Many will call me evil, many will say I'm going to hell, many will say I
need to be saved...but I ignore them. This is my freedom, this is my
peace-and it set me free. It turned me from a weak, scared girl into an
incredibly strong, empowered woman-who wishes to empower other women and
girls-particularly abuse survivors. Yes, I use the word "survivor" to
describe myself-no longer "victim." Goddess, people who knew me in the
Giggles days would be friggin' shocked by me now (chances are they
wouldn't even know me.)
By the way, I still absolutely revere Jesus
and Mother Mary-not to mention Mary Magdalene as well. And of course
Saint Joan of Arc-I'm a female soldier and a virgin (and I want to die
that way!)-of course I see myself as kin to Joan.
No comments:
Post a Comment