Monday, November 27, 2017

Thoughts on sexual orientation and acceptance

Here it is the 21st century and it's hard to believe that there are still some people intolerant of homosexuality-particularly those who use religion/Christianity as an excuse to hide their intolerance.
While I do NOT deny my Christian heritage (as a matter of fact, I'd die before I did), my opinion is that it is unacceptable to push your own beliefs/agendas on individuals who may not give a shite about them.
I'll admit it: I do come from a heavy Christian/Catholic background and for years I was in denial that I was homoromantic/asexual. I'd force myself to look at pictures of boys. I'd force myself to have "crushes" on certain boys. There was one boy that I knew that I truly convinced myself that I had a crush on and was so relieved-only for me to realize years later that he was the sort of person that I would want as a close friend, and I was so desperate that I was truly able to convince myself that it was a crush, when it was truly none of the sort.
When I finally was able to admit to myself that I truly was, homoromantic and asexual, it was like a weight was lifted from my shoulders. Now I know that I'm not going to hell-fuck, I don't even believe in hell anymore. I've been doing some reading up on "pray the gay away" camps and evangelical Christian sects...and I truly just feel sorry for those individuals. Gay and lesbian kids have been tortured and abused at these camps-I compare them to the Irish Magdalene laundries (read up on my post on that.)
And it's all fecking BS to believe that all feminine men are gay and all masculine women are lesbians...(butch dykes are NOT HOT, I say!) I've known plenty of very macho gay men and plenty of incredibly effeminate straight men (my da is one...) Honestly, it's heartbreaking seeing people trying to force individuals to be something they're not...all in the name of religion. Would it acceptable for me to give the Wiccan rede, (years ago I would have thought that reading these words would send me straight to hell) "An it harm none, do what ye will" or would that send them with pitchforks and torches after me??? (said sarcastically, of course.) BTW: Most (not all) autistic people are LGBT.
P.S. As a child I would have thought that saying this would send me straight to hell but...Danu lives!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...