As most probably know now, I am a certified Wildland Firefighter Type 2 with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources. On a whim, I bought "Wildfire: A Novel" by Mary Pauline Lowry, herself a wildland firefighter, for my Amazon kindle, seeing that it was about another female Hotshot (elite wildland firefighter.)
Julie arrives at Pike Hotshot Base, being the sole female on the team. She immediately has the moniker "Princess" slapped on her and is subjected to hazing. A college dropout brought up by her high-society grandmother, Julie struggles to fit in.
As a female wildland firefighter, I thought that I would enjoy this story simply because it was about a female Hotshot. However, I am also a disability rights advocate, and imagine my surprise to find out that Julie struggles with a serious issue herself that she strives to conceal: bulimia. She spends hours binging on as much food as she can eat, and then bringing it all up.
Even if you're not a wildland firefighter or don't possess any "disabilities" this book is still a worthwhile read. Kudos to Mary Pauline Lowry for writing a story about a female wildland firefighter who suffers from a serious condition that she feels that she must hide, but at the same time wants to get better. Women in wildland firefighting (something that it has been said EVERYWHERE that we need more of) and eating disorders is a bold move! Highly recommended, even if you are not a woman, wildland firefighter, and/or don't have any disabilities.
Pet's name: Hope Is Never Lost
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
No comments:
Post a Comment