Saturday, December 7, 2024

Unicorn Suncatcher

For Thanksgiving, I "gifted" myself this Unicorn Suncatcher Painting kit, on sale and delivered free and quickly on Amazon Prime. It doesn't look like too much. The kit consists of a "blind bag" Stablemates Unicorn by Breyer, unpainted and accompanied by a paintbrush and a few pots of quirky-colored paint. Remember, these are *unicorns*-not ordinary bay, gray, and chestnut horses! 😁 

It was supposed to be for an inner child art project. However, I couldn't find the "right time" to break out and paint my little clear friend. However, a few nights ago, around zero dark thirty, I finally decided to take the plunge. I put on some meditative music, made some lavender tea, and sat down on the floor to begin painting. I was very happy with how my little friend turned out!
From clear and unassuming to a colorful beacon of light. 
I attempted to let my mind wander while I was painting my unicorn. First thing to came to mind as I was gingerly moving my newly finished product to a safe spot for drying was "I deserve this." As in, I deserve this colorful new friend. 
Notice the deep pink marks on the shoulder and ears. I tried to give my unicorn two distinctive markings sometimes found in real-life horses...and seen as marks of power by certain demographics. The marking on the shoulder comes from the "bloody shoulder" marking seen in some horses, particularly Arabians. There are many legends of how the "bloody shoulder Arabian" came to be, but a famous one involves the tale of a Bedouin prince mortally wounded in battle astride his heavily pregnant mare. Covered in her beloved owner's blood, the mare gave birth to a beautiful foal with the markings of blood running down his neck. To this day, it's said that all horses with this unique marking are the descendants of this colt. 
She also has the "Medicine Hat" marking over her ears. Many Native Americans, particularly those belonging to the Lakota Sioux tribe, believe that these horses are sacred, touched by the Great Spirit. The story goes that arrows can never harm a Medicine Hat horse, nor its rider. This is another throwback to inner child healing: "San Domingo" by Marguerite Henry (about a Medicine Hat stallion) was one of my all time favorite books. 
Other words that came to me while painting were: POWER, COMPASSION, COURAGE, BLOOD, FIRE. The last two words may not seem very uplifting...but believe me, they're powerful. 
I also infused it with Reiki after painting, and I felt the power of Brigid, Goddess of Fire, Healing, and Poetry, flowing through me. I laughingly thought of the name "Brigid Shoots the Fire of Blood" as the "show name" for my unicorn! It was good that I somewhat laughed, but I felt empowered overall.
As far as my inner child healing, a while ago I wouldn't want to do anything with a model horse. As a small child, because of my western/horse/fantasy "world" where I could feel the empowerment, acceptance, and understanding that I couldn't get from the outside world, I was made to feel invalidated, laughed at (even told by a "well-respected" professional that I would end up in a "mental hospital" because of it.) So, I was actually bracing myself to even feel a wave of hurt and shame doing this. But another thing came to my mind after looking at my colorful new friend: this is a way of saying F you. Not to myself, however. That's what my inner child would like to say to the world...F you! But not in a mean way. In a powerful way. In a "don't hold me back" way. That is where the "fire" likely comes from.     
My little unicorn is currently sitting with some other little knicknacks of mine. Do I like her? Yes. Does she make me feel happy? Yes. 
Again, she's supposed to be a suncatcher...photos don't do her justice! 
Just FYI, there are many other different variants of these "art kits" by Breyer. Yes, they do have regular horses...to be honest, I would imagine that the unicorns don't sell as well because collectors are afraid of the horns breaking (as they so rightly should be!) I'll be extra careful with her...don't worry.
I wonder what little adventures we'll have?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...