'Wicked' breakout Marissa Bode on making Oz more accessible: 'Advocate for yourself'
'Wicked' star Marissa Bode calls out 'harmful' ableist comments about her character's disability
The latest blockbuster hit, a film adaption of the beloved musical "Wicked," has introduced Nessarose, the younger sister of the green-skinned Elphaba. And does the breakout star who portrays the wheelchair-using Nessarose, have some great words to say!
Marissa Bode is a rising star who uses a wheelchair both on the big screen and in real life. Reading her empowering words in the articles above, of course, struck a chord. "Advocate for yourself." Yes...that's what we need more of indeed.
"I know! You say it all the time!" you might say. But it needs to keep being said. On and on. We need to get a whole posse of people with disabilities saying this...and not backing down.
Many people won't listen to those with disabilities. People with disabilities aren't allowed to speak up in many instances. This needs to change. The disabled and/or neurodiverse have as much as anyone else, the right to take up and occupy space. The disabled don't need to change. The world needs to change. The words of Marissa Bode are very eloquent and well spoken, and I so strongly hope that the masses take her to heart.
Of course, a shout out needs to be given to her words in the next article. Here, she's showing what a great self-advocate that she already is...not only for herself or for her character as well. Bode states that Nessarose's actions and personality can be laughed at, since she is, after all a fictional character. The fact that she relies on a wheelchair, however? No. Bode isn't taking it. Bode's strong statement that ripping on Nessarose's "disability" is, to an extent, ripping on (Bode) herself. "At the end of the day, me, Marissa, I'm still disabled and in a wheelchair. Disability isn't fictional," says Bode.
In my opinion, Bode doesn't just have a great protentional portraying strong-willed wheelchair users on the screen...but as an outspoken self-advocate as well. Marissa Bode, I hope that many will take your words to heart, and I wish you the best of luck in the world!
"Speak your voice...even if your voice shakes!" One of my favorite quotes of all time (I forgot who came up with it!)
No comments:
Post a Comment