Sunday, December 1, 2024

Grounding, grieving...and fighting back

 It's been nearly one month since Donald Trump's victory. Said victory had many cheering...but many, many, more in shock, disbelief and fear. Most of these people were, of course, from marginalized communities...women, LGBT, BIPOC, and the disabled/neurodiverse, of course. What now? What's going to happen?

A group that I follow on social media, Coru Cathubodua Priesthood, was quick to share an invitation from a sister organization, which is none other than Women's March. "Grounding Ourselves: Going Forward" a free Zoom call through Women's March planned for that night. I signed up, and am glad that I did!

At approximately 1900 hours that night, I made myself cozy in my "creepy place" ...my bathroom, with lights off and the fan on! with blankets, a Juggy full of water, my ever-present stuffies of Huginn and Muninn, the loyal ravens of Odin, and tuned in. 

I will say, the experience was exquisite and empowering. The speakers knew their stuff, and were overall amazing! Don't take my word for it. The call was recorded and placed on YouTube. Give it a watch when you can!  https://www.youtube.com/live/4QR9iT4va6k?feature=shared 

I highly recommend watching until 30:00 if you're in need of some contemplation. The moon on the water? So peaceful. My session was accompanied by one of my all-time go to music for grounding and stress relief: Steinar Lund's "The Mystery of Runes." Lying in the dark, contemplating on the serene image was calming, but empowering... as was the very end, a Restorative Yoga session! Don't worry if you're new to or unsure of yoga...this is for everyone.

The purpose of this call was to ground, destress and mourn in the minute...and get ready for the fight ahead that's going to need to be fought. Could there be scary times ahead? Yes. I won't sugarcoat it -things could get ugly. Very ugly. 

But we won't sit and take it. We need all hands and skills on deck. What can you do? Write? Teach? Speak? Tons...and much more.

I'm getting myself to devote some more time to blogging. I need to start posting more regularly...and much of it will be my thoughts and ideas for "fighting back." I've realized in the recent past that writing and journalistic skills are great attributes to have. I've also rediscovered my interest in self-defense, which believe me, we'll need to become well versed in soon enough. (There will be a Zoom class on Women's Self-Defense run by Women's March coming up as a matter of fact. I've registered for it!) 

And of course...restorative yoga? This call made me realize just HOW essential it is to a yoga/fitness/wellness routine! You'll hear it be said in the call: "people think that you're not doing anything when you do restorative yoga. Actually...you're doing tons. You're recharging and grounding!" And I now can see where they're coming from. 

I also cannot vouch enough for keeping fit! Even if it's just with some resistance bands, a kettlebell, and stretching poses. Fitness was one of my passions and I need to get back into it. Tone and strengthen up...you may end up being glad that you did.

Also, don't forget everyone's favorite: keeping hydrated!

There are, again, uncertain times ahead. We all need to use what's available to us. A huge weapon of power is one's voice...and one thing that we need to realize...a "voice" can be plenty of things. It can be writing or typing. It can be sign language. It can be a letterboard, or an assistive communication device. 

But...take the suggestions in this video to heart. Destress when you can. If you're feeling overwhelmed, it's not just okay to take a break...it's necessary. Say no when and/or if you need to. Cancel a plan. Stay in. Don't let others get to you. Be kind, yet firm. Learn yoga, learn breathing exercises, (I am extremely guilty of not practicing breathing exercises!) Don't completely shut others out...but take time for yourself.

We're Still Not Going Back!       

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...