I was thrilled about a year ago by Melanie Karsak's "Road to Valhalla" series, a take on the ancient saga of the warrior woman Hervor. I am extremely close with Odin myself, and I worshiped, laughed and cried with Hervor all throughout the series. The end was the most poignant, heartwrenching thing, and brought a tear or so to my eyes. One quote of Hervor's that I love is, "To the world I am nothing...to Odin I am everything." That so hit home for me.
But even more so than Hervor (and I very much identified with Hervor, so this is saying a lot) I was totally fascinated by another character, by the name of Blomma. Blomma was a small child adopted by Hervor and her husband after being orphaned in an attack on her village. As time goes by, and the sullen Blomma comes out of her shell, she makes it obvious that she wasn't sad to see her mother die. The young girl's mother was whispered to be of "jotun" (i.e. more or less the counterpart to a demon so to speak) blood and...there were many rumors about her mysterious father.
Even reading the first few bits featuring Blomma, it became very obvious to me: she was a child that would have been diagnosed with autism in our day and age. Our world would have shunned her, discarded her, and told her that "she needed to come into the real world" when she would relate the strange "visions" that she had. (I have had similar experiences, i.e. "visions.") She would have been medicated and sent to therapy. And our world would have missed out on a very strong, powerful person.
I don't want to spoil much for those that have not read these books. But we do see Blomma grow into a very strong, powerful woman. I instantly connected with her as a powerful neurodivergent character. Imagine my joy when I found out that there was a whole new series of books up and coming about Ervie, the daughter of Blomma and the "Reindeer King," a powerful warrior-Gothi (priest.)
Right now there's only a short prequel out..."Winternights Gambit." But I jumped to get it for my Kindle and I highly recommend that anyone that is interested in strong neurodivergent characters, feisty autistic women, or even just the Asatru/Norse faith pick it up immediately! It's a novella and very short, but gives you a great idea of how someone who would have been thrown aside by our society rose up to be the most powerful Volva (female witch/practitioner of seidr) in the kingdom.
I saw some similarities in the story of to the real-life accounts of Rupert Isaacson and his son Rowan in his books "The Horse Boy" and "The Long Ride Home." Said books are said author's memoirs of taking Rowan, his autistic son, to multiple shamans around the globe. Many shamans displayed autistic traits themselves. Instead of being shunned, as they would be by our modern Western society, they had used the fact that they had "feet in each world" so to speak, to rise to one of the most powerful positions in their society.
I can't wait for Ervie's story! Honestly, I think that she's going to be the most like me of all. I am a neurodivergent female soldier myself...who would love to be trained in seidr. It's not something to take lightly...but something that I would love to do. I hope that Ervie will end up being trained as both a shieldmaiden and a Volva (there had to have been at least a few women that were both???)
But again, I am so pumped to see how Blomma has grown, and become the most powerful Volva in the kingdom. Someone who would be cast aside by our own society. I do hope, however, that with the world taking somewhat of a spiritual turn...the tides will indeed turn. Autistic people don't need to change. The world needs to change. Can you imagine if Blomma was a real-life person living in our modern society today? This world would have missed out on something amazing.
As many know, I have absolutely no desire to ever have children of my own. However, I did have a time where I thought that the day may come when I would consider adopting an older Native American or Alaska Native child. Maybe someone very much like Blomma...?
I even wonder if Hervor, a fierce shieldmaiden with a heart of gold, might have a drop of neurodivergence in her...? Again, her words "to the world I am nothing...to the Allfather I am everything" so struck a chord with me. Many, many neurodivergent people feel the same way. Me too, Hervor. Me too.
Sorry Odin, Miss Jenna has stolen Muninn!!! :D
Thank you for the lovely analysis.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! I just finished Gambit of Blood on my Kindle and cannot believe how much Ervie is like me!!! :D
Delete