Saturday, January 8, 2022

Huninn and Muninn's tips for mindfulness and stress relief!

 


Skal! Huninn and Muninn, the ravens of the Allfather, are back with us today to share some tips for mindfulness and stress relief. We live in a stressful, fast-paced world-and many often bear the burden! What do the ravens have to say? Take it away Huninn and Muninn!

Huninn: First off, it's just as she says-we live in a fast-paced stressful world. How do we cope? Let's start off with tips for mindfulness.

Muninn: Mindfulness-the state of being in the "present moment." In other words, meditation focusing on "being here." Fun fact: in our faith and culture, mindfulness is known as "utiseta"-the act of "sitting out."

Huninn: It takes some getting used to, but practice makes perfect. First off, how to start? First off, make sure you're in a comfortable spot where you won't be disturbed, sitting or lying down. Cover your eyes with a cloth if you wish.

Muninn: Focus on your breath-in and out, in and out. Breathe slow and deep. As you do so, allow thoughts to come and go without judgement.

Huninn: Some find it helpful to do a "body scan"-starting either at your feet or your head, move your way throughout your body, up or down depending on where you started. Notice the sensations in each part of your body. Do you feel tension? Relax!

Muninn: What can we expect to happen during mindfulness?

Huninn: After some practice, you should expect to feel relaxed, sleepy even, sometimes even blissful. Depending on your practices and/or beliefs (this is getting into utiseta somewhat, and sometimes does happen to me-of course your experiences may be different) you may or may not even have visions and/or messages. 

Muninn: Awesome! What are some other forms of stress relief?

Huninn: It's helpful to spend even a few minutes each day either outside walking or running, and/or some other sort of physical activity. Yoga is a highly recommended place to start! Even if it's just a few minutes of Mountain Pose (simply standing with your arms at your sides) followed by ten minutes of Corpse Pose (lying on your back on the floor-many recommend a blanket for this!) it's highly beneficial. However, don't forget-only do poses that you are comfortable with! You don't want to injure yourself.

Muninn: But again, just five minutes walking or running outside every day (regardless of the weather-bundle up if it's cold!) is highly beneficial. Again, if the weather is terrible, just a few minutes is fine!

Huninn: Here's a great idea: find something that "uplifts" you or "raises your vibrations." It can be anything! (For me, it's Spongebob, and often South Park. I often like to look at pictures of Spongebob when need a "pick up" and/or watch clips of South Park, particularly Cartman and his tantrums!) So let's say for example, it's a picture. Put that picture somewhere you easily have access to it...and look at it whenever you feel down! Your favorite type of music and/or ambience is also a great idea.

Muninn: Don't forget positive affirmations! Let's start with one: I AM WORTHY. I AM WORTHY! I AM WORTHY! Say it out loud just a few times. How did that make you feel? (FYI: I'm starting a new class through the OSU School of Nursing called MINDSTRONG-will post details on that later-but this was the first "pre-meeting" activity that our professor had us do via the video that she posted-I could really feel the empowerment saying that!) 

Huninn: Also maybe one thing that you like about yourself, and/or three things that you're grateful for! Keeping a gratitude journal is a terrific idea. By the way I like your new get-up. What are you wearing?

Muninn: Well, on my right wing, I have a blue friendship bracelet saying "Breathe and Believe" (perfect for mindfulness and also Law of Attraction) and on my left leg I have a bracelet of Lumpy Space Princess from Adventure Time! (Lumpy Space Princess also uplifts me!)


 (Note: My Muninn plushie is sooo soft and cuddly, and really gets me through a lot. When I need to settle down, I like to get under a weighted blanket with him and turn on utiseta/seidr/meditation music. I'm calm within minutes. Sometimes I even fall asleep and have very vivid dreams, often involving Odin and/or the Jotuns/Rokkr, even angels as well. The "Breathe and Believe" bracelet, which by the way was an incredibly sweet surprise from someone, seemed only right to put on Muninn. Now he can really help me with gratitude, law of attraction, and utiseta practices!) 

Huninn: Awesome! I love it, and I think that it's very inspiring. By the way, what's another huge part of self-care!

Muninn: Staying hydrated!

(both): DRINK WATER!!!

Huninn: Even if you don't feel thirsty, keep hydrated! Do you know that you're actually more likely to get dehydrated in cold weather, not hot?

Muninn: True, because you don't feel as thirsty or sweat as much in the cold.

Huninn: Well we went through a lot of tips for mindfulness and stress relief. Hope that they come in handy. Don't forget to take some time, even if it's just a few minutes, for yourself!

Muninn: Until next time!

Both: Skal!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...