Thursday, February 7, 2019

I recently had the chance to speak with a woman who is Pagan, but as of late feels VERY drawn to the Catholic church, and feels as though she should convert. However, her problem is that she is afraid that they will shun her-because she's a Native American. She acknowledges that there most certainly are Catholic natives (and there is at least one Native American Catholic saint)-but she is still hesitant.
I personally think it's too bad that she would feel forced to make a conclusion like that. And it's not her fault. The Catholic church certainly has committed unforgivable atrocities against Native Americans. It's no wonder that a Native American would feel unwelcome in the Catholic church-no matter how drawn to the faith they feel.
I do believe the Church is a control system. That being said, I see Mother Mary (Maithar Maire, Our Lady of Knock) as another face of the Goddess Danu. And yes, in case anyone has forgotten, I most certainly have seen her silhouette on the wall. Yes, I do have a version of the Hail Mary that I pray. And I don't have to say again how I feel about Saint Joan of Arc!
I believe that if you feel drawn to any particular faith-pursue it. As long as it's not hurting anyone and you're not going to push it on others-turn to it. You are drawn to that faith/lifestyle/way of thinking for a reason. Anyone can and should practice any faith, way of life, that they feel drawn to, and fuck the haters. The only rule is, don't force it down the throats of others. And never let anyone tell you that you can only belong to one religion. Not true at all. Yes, I have Irish Catholic beliefs. Yes, I have Pagan beliefs. Hell, I even sometimes have a mini-ritual on Saturday nights to mark the Puritan sabbath. I consider myself a Pagan Cathitan.
Who knows-maybe the woman that I mentioned is drawn to Catholicism so she can be a trailblazer for other Native Americans who feel drawn to the Catholic faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...