It's the last day of February, and we are now heading into March...Irish American History Month and, of course, March 17th, Saint Patrick's Day.
Is Saint Patrick's Day culturally appropriate...or is it simply an excuse to get drunk? What are some culturally appropriate ways that Irish Americans could observe, not only March 17th, but the entire month of March?
-Instead of getting decked out in green, I am planning to wear one of my Irish Garda Siochana/Criminal Justice shirts. And of course I never take off my claddagh ring-that stays on 365 days a year! Much more enlightening than "Kiss Me, I'm Irish."
-I am also planning on doing some meditations and work with the goddess Danu, with whom I am VERY close.
-Read some actual Irish literature...the Tain is wicked, or if you want something contemporary I HIGHLY recommend "Only The Stones Survive" by Morgan Llewellyn...it answered so many questions about myself...
-Play some Gaelic football (you can use a volleyball in place of a football.)
-Consider donating to a hunger/famine relief fund. I am planning on donating to an immigrant's rights fund in honor of my great-grandparents, and then a hunger relief fund in honor of their parents.
-If you are Irish and want to celebrate a real Irish holiday, then Beltane (May 1), Lughnasa (August 1), Samhain (October 31), Imbolc (February 2.)
NO "Kiss Me, I'm Irish." NO green beer. NO green top hats. NO red beards. NO stereotypes! AND, hold your friends accountable if/when they do any of this!
No comments:
Post a Comment