Happy birthday Harry Potter. What can I say...you were a huge part of my so-called "childhood." I sure as Hel don't condone JKR's bigotry, but the world that she came up with was rich and vibrant in so many ways...and helped so many people! I'm just so sorry for her former supporters that have been negatively affected by her views.
Much of the true
underline of the series is, looking back now, very, very dark. Rowling
struggled terribly in her early life and much of the bleakness does come
through if one thinks about it. Going off of that, another thing that one has
to ask…why didn’t Harry already have C-PTSD going into Hogwarts? It was brought
up that someone who had spent their childhood locked in a cupboard, in reality,
would have needed life long therapy.
This is where
fanfiction comes in. Much of Harry Potter fanfiction is very, very, well
written…honestly better than the books themselves! Fanfiction authors have
explored many questions and loopholes about the series. For example, what were
Dumbledore’s true intentions for Harry? Were the Weasleys just trying to get
their hands on Harry’s money? There’s so much more that needs to be told. I’d
especially love to hear more about Ilvermorny, the North American answer to
Hogwarts…and very much so, the story of Isolt Sayre, the Irish Puritan woman
who founded said school. Isolt was said to be a descendant of Morrigan. A poor
Irish girl, with connections to the Great Queen herself? I so need to hear more
of that story! And of course there’s the tragic, doomed Ariana Dumbledore…what
was her true story? Ariana’s story can also open up discussions as to how
traumatic childhood experiences can forever change a formerly strong-willed
person, now that I think about it. And speaking of the Dumbledores, there’s
also the rumored Native American ancestry of Kendra Dumbledore…it would have
been great to have heard a tale from her viewpoint.
Even if you no longer
support J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter gave much to many misunderstood people for
many years, myself included. I insisted that I had a Common Welsh Green Dragon,
and that Muggles could even play Quidditch on horseback! And I spent hours
immersed in my Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone EA Game (“Flipendo!”) that
I received one Easter…that to this day, I still consider to be one of the
greatest gifts that I have ever gotten. That game helped me to escape and live.
As far as my favorite
Harry Potter fanfictions, I’d recommend looking into:
“Runaway Wizard” where
Harry does indeed run away from the Dursleys, gets taken in by a gay couple and
ends up getting into martial arts and working at a gay BDSM club (much more moving and in
depth than it sounds!)
And:
“Harry Potter and the
Knight of Mann” where a strange Manx girl transfers to Hogwarts and befriends
Harry. VERY Celtic! If you like strong female characters and the
Celtic/Gaelic/Manx deities, all of whom I am very familiar with, you indeed
need to read this one.
No comments:
Post a Comment