Tuesday, September 19, 2023

The Buddhist on Death Row


(Note: copied and pasted from my Instagram, runesandreads. Please excuse the formatting errors!)
 WOW. What can I say about "The Buddhist on Death Row?" David Sheff's stunning offering is both heart wrenching and infuriating at the same time. I'm actually torn between recommending it and saying "proceed with caution!"
Jarvis Jay Masters has found peace through Buddhism in the most unlikely of places-death row. Born into an abusive, drug ridden family, Masters has been incarcerated since he was a teen for a crime that he likely did not commit. Some years ago, he was sentenced to death by lethal injection. To this day, advocates battle for his exoneration...and I hope that reading this heartbreaking, infuriating book, will help voices be raised even louder. Masters has corresponded with high school students and other practitioners of his faith, and has found mentors in lamas, monks, and especially a strong-willed Buddhist nun...and a huge shout out goes to his goddess, the Red Tara. I'm glad that she inspires him to keep fighting!
I doubt that I'll ever be a Buddhist, yet this book inspired me greatly to work hard and meditation and mindfulness...and already I daresay I'm getting slightly better at it.
This book has opened my eyes to the fact that Buddhism doesn't alleviate suffering...but it does teach one how to handle and acknowledge the fact that everyone suffers. It can't be escaped. Suffering is certain. Death is certain. But it's not the end all.
I agree that our Western world is very fast paced and disagreeable in many ways...and those of whom that meditate, practice Yoga, etc. (I am partial to Dark Yoga, that is yoga done in the dark to ominous music) are often looked down on.
This is a book review, so I'm not trying to open a can of worms...but the Criminal Justice system is also extremely broken and corrupt. There, I've said it. As someone who has training in said field, I hope to become a voice for those of whom are wrongfully incarcerated. Jarvis, you are an inspiration! May you find even more peace...and continue to fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...