Monday, October 18, 2021

Dragons and...

 

My dragon family... :D

Here's something that I was meaning to post for a few weeks...got quite a load to get out about some experiences from the past couple of weeks! (Mostly good.)

First off, a couple of weeks ago I attended a free Zoom class on Reiki healing (if anyone remembers, I am Reiki Level 1 certified-had some interesting experiences during that class!) 

But anyway, the energies in the recent Zoom class were *intense!* I could feel them the instant that the screen popped up-before the session had even started honestly. A quick rundown of what happened during the session: Melon and Patch did make appearances. Patch was glowing with a yellow aura, which made me think that he was telling me that my solar plexus chakra needed to be worked on (often when he shows up he glows with the color corresponding to the main chakra that I need to work on.) During the session, I could also feel a lot of energy in my root and sacral chakras, and I could feel my throat chakra being cleared as well.

Now what you're waiting for-the dragons-and it gets somewhat amusing! I have a Squishable Sakura Dragon, (pictured above wearing my dog tags, because that is how I roll.) During the session I felt it "speaking" to me...but I forget what it said now. However, I feel as though it was attempting to comfort and uplift me. Strangely enough, I had just come back from drill weekend and the whole two days before while I was drilling I was thinking about how much I missed my dragon!

A bit of background information on this dragon plushie-I received it several years ago in a "secret" holiday gift exchange. The pink isn't what I would have *jumped* at the chance to get for myself...however the instant I opened it I was in awe of it. The pictures don't do it justice...it is an incredibly detailed stuffed animal. The individual who designed it is very, very talented and apparently very inspired by Japanese culture. For those of you who like it, sadly the small one that I have is discontinued, but there is now a large one out...since the "mini" that I have was so popular! Of course, the one that's currently available is constantly out of stock...

Last year, I actually began writing a story loosely based around this dragon! The story involves a young Irish-American Confederate woman from Civil War era North Carolina who, after being shot by Union soldiers as she tries to protect her mentally ill mother and her brother who has Down syndrome, gets transported into the world of the anime Inuyasha to be healed. However, I could never continue the story-deep down inside I knew all along that there's no way that a story glorifying the Confederacy is going to fly in today's climate. (Disclaimer: I in NO WAY endorse the idea of slavery.) But! I want to write something similar involving my Sakura Dragon. I am jelling some ideas-I have an idea for the time period and setting, but won't give too much away. I will say that it likely will still feature a character with Down syndrome-and soon is a good time to start, given that it's October, Down Syndrome Acceptance Month!

What's some background info on dragons? Well, they are very real-and very powerful totems and guides-but they no longer exist on the physical plane, at least they haven't for quite some time. All cultures have, or did have, their own dragon stories and legends. The idea of them depends on what part of the world you live in. Europeans view dragons as bloodthirsty, demonic creatures. Asians, on the other hand, view dragons as lucky, helpful spirits. However! Did Europeans *always* view dragons as heartless monsters? My very strong guess is no. As many may know, my ancestral/spiritual pull to the British Isles is *very* strong (Scandinavia is a very close second, almost a tie honestly, followed by the Alps.) Dragons are, in fact, a very strong, powerful presence for people who have such close ties to those parts of the world. As far as the part of the world where my ancestral and spiritual ties are indeed the strongest, dragons are actually very ingrained into said cultures-and are very particularly a very strong totem for English and Welsh people. I honestly don't want to say that dragons in said countries are truly "feared"-more like respected. (While I hate to bad mouth things too much-remember, I am a huge fan of Jesus Christ, just not the individuals who twisted his teachings for their own gain-I believe that when so-called Christianity was brought to Europe, that's more or less when dragons there became "demonized-"many have been known to use "the dragon" as a metaphor for "the devil.") 

Another good example is the "Fafismal" poem in the Poetic Edda-as the mighty dragon Fafnir lays dying, he gives advice to Sigurd, the hero who slew him...it's a powerful and poignant poem, and shows mutual respect between the dragon and the dragon slayer-more evidence that European dragons aren't truly "bad" or "evil." (My Webkinz Lava Dragon, in my aesthetic picture above, represents Fafnir!) Another dragon that's not necessarily what she seems to be is Nidhoggr...the Great Dragon of the Tree. Nidhoggr gnaws on the roots of Yggdrasil, the World Tree-but she's necessary to clean up rot and decay-and some modern day Heathens and Rokkatru practitioners wonder if she is actually supposed to represent the "root chakra." She's represented by the black dragon in the middle picture on the hay bales. Her friend is a fox dragon! Want to adopt some of their friends? whimsicalwhiskers.com. :)   

Dragons also play a big part in the part of the world where I was born and raised-the Americas! Most, regardless of where they're from, are aware of Quetzalcoatl  the "featured serpent" of the Mayans and Aztecs. It also recently came to me that dragons have played quite a role as helpful spirits for the Cherokee people...and this is more or less where my Sakura Dragon comes in. While it's obvious that said dragon was made with a Japanese aesthetic in mind, ("Sakura"=cherry blossom) I can honestly sort of get a "helpful" Cherokee vibe from it as well...and the role that it plays in the story that I have in mind is related. (As most know, Cherokee country, i.e. southern Appalachia, played a big part in much of my life.) 

There is a video on YouTube by Dream Seeds called Dragon Intervention-if you feel called to, look it up, play it, and see what it does! 

        

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...