Here is a paper for my Native American Literature Studies class that I'd thought I'd post here!
A place that has more or
less shaped me into what I am today is western North Carolina. It’s because of
my time that I spent at a camp, Talisman Programs, (as well as two unique
academic school semesters there!) which is in this area, that I am now a
competent outdoorswoman, as well as involved in firefighting and search and
rescue. This camp heightened my confidence greatly, made me realize what I
like, and, as I said, is the reason that I am now involved in both firefighting
and search and rescue (“so that others may live.”)
To start off, western North Carolina is home to
breathtaking mountains, forests, and rivers. It’s easy to see why the native
Cherokee people (Europeans as well!) consider much of the land “sacred” and
home to supernatural creatures and spirits. The Appalachian Mountain range is
the oldest mountain range on Earth (geological estimation puts the age at
approximately 480 million years) and the rolling hills show the erosion of the
mountains caused by the age. (“Top
10 Facts about the Appalachian Mountains - Discover Walks Blog”)
Segments of the Appalachian trail are prime hiking and camping choices, and
wild, fast rivers such as the French Broad and Nolichucky (the word
“Nolichucky” is actually Cherokee – it translates into “rocky river of death”)
are great choices for a rafting adventure – although you’ll likely fall in at
one point or the other. (I did.)
Beings that consider this area home would, first and
foremost be the native Cherokee people. The history of the Cherokee people is
rich and fascinating, and I have called several of these people my friends. I
will attest to having visited the town of Cherokee, North Carolina, which was a
fulfilling experience indeed. A shout-out to their culture would be the road
signs in both Cherokee and English. The modern Cherokee alphabet was, as a
matter of fact, developed in the early 1800’s by Sequoyah, an individual of
mixed European and Cherokee descent. Today, the language is spoken by varying
fluencies by thousands of individuals worldwide. (“Cherokee Nation Cherokee Language”) Of
course, for hundreds of years, many Europeans, particularly the English and the
Scottish, have begun to call this area home as well. While said Europeans such
as myself are indeed not native to the land (then again, it’s obvious that the
Appalachians were at one point connected to the British Isles…so in some sort
of a way we are! 😊)
they have added a good deal of their own rich culture and heritage to the land,
from fiddle dances to English folk magick.
Tales told about this land? A good place to start
would be an outdoor drama entitled “Unto These Hills.” I have not seen this
play myself, however according to the reading that I have done (Unto
These Hills | Cherokee Historical Association (fareharbor.com)) it
is quite a deep, breathtaking experience, and it’s understandable why it was
apparently hailed as “America’s most powerful drama.” “Unto These Hills” spans
three hundred years – from the arrival of the Spanish conquistador Hernando
DeSoto, to the tragic Trail of Tears, featuring a poignant ending with a strong
message of hope and power.
As far as “supernatural” tales related to western
North Carolina, there are actually several that I can remember off of the top
of my head from my school semesters there. First one is: what causes the iconic
blue “smoke” to rise over the Smoky Mountains? According to the Cherokee, small
blue beings live underground, and the blue mist that blankets the mountains is
actually smoke from their campfires.
Many of the other Cherokee tales of this region are
quite freaky: one of their legends tells of a witch named Spearfinger.
Spearfinger is said to approach Cherokee children in the guise of a family
member. She will then use her long, clawed finger to slice to child open…and
steal and eat their liver. (Apparently, the Cherokee have their own tales to
frighten children into behaving, just as do Europeans. Apparently Spearfinger
is just that…a tale…but who knows?) Another Cherokee legend is that of the
Wampus, a large, monstrous cat that prowls and roars in the mountains.
Deviating somewhat away from the topic of this paper, I actually first found
out about the Wampus not in North Carolina, but on the Pottermore site, where I
took the sortings for both Hogwarts and Illvermorny – the American school of
magic – and my Illvermorny house ended up being Wampus. (Yes, I do know that
many particularly in the LGBT community now do have beef with J.K. Rowling, and
indeed many others have said that her Illvermorny houses are actually indeed
racist towards Native Americans.) I also remember another legend about North
Carolina’s own version of Bigfoot, (Boojum) and just now doing research for
this paper I found a fairly beautiful Cherokee legend of a mystical spring
hidden deep in the mountains…a mystical spring named Atagahi. This spring is a
sacred place for the animals of the mountains to find respite and healing…hidden
from human eyes. (9 Smoky Mountain
Legends, Spooky Stories & Haunted Places (pigeonforge.com))
As most probably know, North Carolina was part of the
original thirteen British colonies. Part of the “Southern Colonies,” the
“Carolina Province” was established as a propriety colony in 1663. In 1729, the
Carolina Province split into the Divided Provinces of North and South Carolina,
two royal colonies, and on November 21st, 1789, North Carolina
achieved statehood. It was, in fact, the first state to instruct its delegates
to vote for independence from the British Crown during the first Continental
Congress. (North Carolina -
HISTORY)
For a good enough part, the Cherokee people and
Europeans lived together without too much conflict. As a matter of fact, the
Cherokee were even considered one of the “civilized” tribes of America (the
others were the Choctaw, Chickasaw, Seminole, and Creek), likely due to their
excellence in farming, as well as the willingness of many to adopt European
dress and ways. However, in 1830, Congress passed the “Indian Removal Act,”
which called for the removal of the Cherokee people as well as neighboring
tribes. This act would lead to the tragic march to “Indian Territory” in
Oklahoma – the infamous “Trail of Tears.” President Andrew Jackson advocated
strongly for the removal of the native peoples from the lands that they had
called home for thousands of years. The term “Manifest Destiny,” coined a bit
later by President James Polk, pressed the belief onto those of European
descent that America was their land for the taking – and that they not only had
the “God-given” right to be in America. America was now the land of the whites,
and the “savage Indians” had no right to life anymore. Or at least that’s what
the society of the time was more or less brainwashed to believe.
The Trail of Tears was indeed a tragic and shameful
part of history. Thousands of Cherokee people between the years of 1830-1850
were forcibly rounded up and forced down said “Trail of Tears” to Oklahoma –
Indian Territory. Tons died along the way. Over the years, the Cherokee have
come to show their resilience – these people are bent, but will not let
themselves be broken. In the recent past, the Cherokee have begun to “rise
again” and their strong spirit is evident in many ways. I have been honored to
have called a few of these people my friends! As a matter of fact, the news
just came out very recently that “mainstream” schools have begun teaching the
Cherokee language and alphabet!
As for “stories that *I* have told about this land…”?
This is an interesting question to ask me.
As I mentioned, for myself as a person, western North
Carolina, aka Cherokee country, has shaped much of who I am. Going to camp and
school in this area totally made me realize who and what I am. I have a knack
for outdoor sports and recreation, and eventually they helped me get into both
firefighting and search and rescue – two both very challenging, yet rewarding,
paths! Talisman Programs was a rewarding experience in very many ways, which is
why that I chose this area to write this “place narrative” on.
Of course there are interesting camp/school stories,
which would of course more or less deviate from the topic of this paper
(campers screaming profanities at counselors for being forced to walk up the
mountains…the bus breaking down and us having to sleep on the side of the
highway…)
However, even for myself, the many backpacking and
camping trips that we would go on did indeed turn me onto “nature” and
understanding the land. Being in this area, particularly hiking and camping in
the mountains, didn’t just make me understand the ways of the native
Cherokee…it made me start to get in touch with my own ancestral roots! As
mentioned earlier, many Scots and English people in particular settled in these
mountains…and brought much of *their* culture with them.
I am a white person, and have a very strong ancestral
pull to all of Europe…but very much in particular the British Isles.
(Scandinavia is a close second.) And over the years, I have little by little
become more and more attuned to the ancient ways of my own people…and in some
ways, I can somewhat attest that Talisman Programs has something to do with it.
As mentioned earlier in this paper, eons ago, it’s
likely that the British Isles *were* connected to Appalachia. I remember
looking out over some of the land on backpacking trips and thinking of how much
some of it strongly resembles Ireland (my great-grandparents were immigrants
from Ireland – Roscommon and Galway – in the early 20th century.)
Overall, much of the feel to me in many instances was “Celtic.”
As I have become more and more attuned to the ancient
ways of my own people, I have become to feel a kinship to the ancient deities
of the land, sky, and sea. I am now a charter member of The Asatru Community (*NOT*
the white supremacist Asatru Folk Assembly!) and even work as a website volunteer
for them.
First it was Celtic, and it still is very strongly.
However (and this is one of the reasons why I am affiliated with The Asatru
Community) I am also beginning to (and this would make my great-grandparents
scream 😊) become engrossed in the ways of the
Anglo-Saxons…the ancient English (maternal great-grandmother and paternal
grandfather.) I have been studying utiseid (the Anglo-Saxon/Norse meditation
technique) and even seidr/wiccecraft (not the Wiccan faith) which is the
ancient European shamanic technique. I have even been told by someone that I
could have potential as a Volva (a seeress) down the road. Yes, the Europeans
had (and are beginning to bring back) pagan and shamanic practices that in many
ways are similar to that of the Native Americans! As a matter of fact, as I
said before, the very ironic thing is that many Native Americans are beginning
to move into big cities, as well as becoming employed in IT and tech
careers…while at the same time many white people are beginning to turn back to
the old pagan and nature-centric ways of pre-Christian Europe…myself included,
and in some ways, I thank my time in North Carolina for this.
In conclusion, there are many tales that the Cherokee
tell about western North Carolina…and many that Europeans have begun to tell as
well. This land has very much shaped who and what I am…and not only attuned me
to the ways of the Cherokee, but to my own people as well! However first and
foremost it’s Cherokee land…a tough and resilient people.
Love it! I can relate to these thoughts, as I have ancestry going back into both the British immigrants to Appalachia and into both the Saponi and Cherokee tribes. It finally made sense to me when I realized that the Appalachians and the British Isles were all part of one mountain chain. People left the one and were drawn to the other. Ancient land, magic land.
ReplyDelete