Thoughts on what is likely going to have to end up with autism in our world...(somewhat copied and pasted from some Facebook posts of mine...)
At someone's recommendation, I have begun looking at the book "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen. To be honest, I did read a lot of negative reviews on Amazon and didn't want to pay 10 dollars for it to put on my Kindle and the "borrow" feature was not available for said book-however I was able to find it elsewhere.
I want to chime in with everyone that this is an incredibly sobering read. It tells the tale of an EMP attack on the United States-and the dire consequences that our technology-dependent society faces in the aftermath. There is suffering, there is death. Most individuals in the Western world today are hardly prepared to go "off-grid."
What population would be the best to right such a situation? I don't have to say it again. It's time for us to get autistics-the best brains for this-trained and ready. In a world where they're downtrodden-yes, it sadly is going to likely take a massive cyber catastrophe for autism to be taken seriously. So tragic-it's sad but true. Autism could sadly end up saving a world that doesn't give a damn for it.
I hate to get spiritual and sappy, but in my opinion, the gods don't make mistakes (the Eddas, Havamal, etc. may insist otherwise though, but I digress.) It is truly almost eerie that, as our world becomes more and more dependent on technology...a huge wave of people come out that have the best mindsets for said sort of world. The gods may screw up-but in the end, they don't make "true" mistakes.
I would recommend this book, (it's first in a series,) but just keep in mind that it's intense. Tread lightly if you have anxiety, depression, as much of my circle does-but I believe that it should be read by many-particularly those in the "disability" community.
Also...on a lighter note...those who do end up liking this series will indeed want to take a trip to the town in which it takes place...Black Mountain, North Carolina!!!
Another thing that has been on my mind...as we all know lest we have been hiding under a rock...last winter a devastating ice storm not only completely knocked out the power grid and critical infrastructure all over Texas, but in doing so, caused immense suffering-even death.
I am thinking...I am wondering...if only we lived in a world where autism was taken seriously...where we could focus on the advantages of autism such as tech savviness...if only they had autistic people out there using their technologically minded brains...who knows how quick those power grids could have been fixed...who knows how much needless suffering could have been prevented...how many lives could have been saved. I guess we'll never know.
I also remember the time (pre-Covid) I had to go to the DMV to get my plates renewed. I walked into the building to find them turning away people who were trying to get their licenses renewed...because the machine to print them was down. They were relieved when I told them that I just needed my plates renewed, not a new license. I know that it's not as serious as the Texas situation, but the first thing that came to mind when that occurred was...wow, where are the autistic workers when you need them? They'd have the machines back up and running in a flash, everyone would be able to get their licenses and walk straight out...are we really doing anyone any favors???
No comments:
Post a Comment