Wednesday, May 27, 2020

What up with me...

And...I'm back! As the title says, what have I been up to?
First off, summer semester at OSU is in full swing, all online of course given the current circumstances, but nevertheless, it's been a blast so far! First off, I have officially declared an English major, and am hoping to minor in Forestry.  
A GE requirement  class that I've been enjoying is Mafia Movies. This is indeed one of the most interesting classes that I have ever taken, and highly recommended if anyone by any chance is an OSU student! The Godfather 1 and 2, Goodfellas, the Sopranos, and plenty more-including "The Black Hand" from 1906-the first ever Mafia movie!-we're watching everything. I've already started watching the one that I was most excited about "Angela" (about a Mafia woman, and I always root for kickass women!) 
Another one that I'm taking is Nonfiction Writing-see my essay underneath this that I've written. For the second half, I'll be taking Intro to Environmental Science, and being an outdoorswoman and on call wildland firefighter, naturally I'm incredibly excited for it. I hope that it will give me some ideas! 
I've still been keeping up with endurance running, and have been tying urban hiking/rucking in as well. Tactical tomahawks and knives have been an interest, and I hope to start playing basketball again soon enough. 
I'll save the highlight for last: On Saturday, May 16th, I was honored to participate in Operation Forward Movement with the Ohio Military Reserve, a recruiting event held at Grove City Public Library. This was a total blast, and as I said, I was so honored to be asked for this mission! Approximately twenty-one new recruits were sworn in, and to make a long story short, everyone ended up taking home pizza and donuts. Thank you Little Caesars and Jolly Pirate Donuts! 
However, the biggest highlight of that day was a conversation with a lady from 3rd Med...and her telling me how strong she thinks I am. I poured out my whole story, and how much I still wanted to serve after being disqualified from the federal service. I want to be an inspiration to others, and I am so thankful that I am. (Hate to sound sappy.)
So, in a nutshell, that's pretty much what I've been up to! Stay tuned for a summary of my thoughts on "The Black Hand" (and maybe a YouTube link to the video ;) only 11 minutes long!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...