Saturday, April 4, 2020

Disability Studies Final Project-Summary (somewhat)


This is a decorative (not functional!) primitive mini hunting bow that I designed for Autism Acceptance – Red Instead.  
Some theorize that the Autism neurotype developed millennia ago in Europe, to assure an advantage in hunting. Going by that theory, and a current interest of mine, woodcutting/whittling, I designed this ornamental mini bow from a piece of red and black paracord and a curved stick that I cut the bark off of.
The hunting bow signifies the theory of the development of Autism. I added the paracord for “Red Instead,” which many in the Autism community now advocate for rather than “Lighting It Up Blue.” The argument is that blue is a representation of Autism Speaks, which actually seeks to eradicate Autism, instead of focusing on the numerous benefits that this neurotype actually brings to the world.
At first I was put off by the fact that I didn’t have pure bright red paracord, but suddenly it came to me that the black and red could work perfectly. To me, the black also signifies the sorrow and frustration that autistics face – the dehumization, low expectations, infantilization – when the truth is, most in fact possess above-average intelligence.  
If the theory about Autism developing to give an advantage in hunting is correct, then imagine exactly *how* essential this neurotype would have been to prehistoric hunter-gatherer communities. Autism would have ensured that our ancestors didn’t starve. Just as how today, Autism may have to be the answer if-and sadly quite likely when-the cyber catastrophe comes.   
“Who made the first stone spear? That wasn’t the yakkity yaks sitting around the campfire…that was an autistic caveman sitting in the back of the cave.” – Temple Grandin
Background info on this bow: I whittled much of the outer bark off of this branch a while back. I wasn’t too sure what I was going to do with it, and when I looked down I realized that I had absentmindedly carved something that looked like the letter P into the wood. I knew that it was a Norse rune but I had forgotten which one – but when I looked it up, it turned out that it was Wunjo, which symbolizes joy and good luck! Although it was a Norse rune I decided to offer the branch up to the Celtic god Cernunnos. That night – whether it was related or not – I had a beautiful, vivid dream about a young Catholic woman and a young Puritan woman, who fell in love with each other and braved the Massachusetts winter to run away together! It was such a beautiful dream, and I woke up feeling so full of hope and inspiration from it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...