Thursday, September 28, 2017

Camp Perry

Well, I've been home for almost a week now and my only excuse for not updating about Annual Training at Camp Perry is that I had a terrible cold (might have picked it up in the barracks) AND studying for first Psychology exam coming up on Monday! But in a nutshell, here's a rundown of my time at Camp Perry with the Ohio Military Reserve!

Most of the time was spent with the rest of the Security Section, (in the rain for two days!) checking in and administering parking passes to soldiers. We also got quite a bit of hands-on radio training, and went in several rides in the MSG's restored military jeep! Evenings were spent around the campfire, drinking beer, roasting marshmallows and telling stories. One night we were able to travel to the Marblehead Lighthouse, a beautiful area (and I love lighthouses) and you could see Cedar Point on the other side of the shore!
On September 19th, 2017 (they said REMEMBER THE DATE!) I received a Challenge Coin, and on September 21st I was promoted to Private E-2. That day General Harris of the Ohio National Guard made a visit, and while I did not get the chance to speak with him, I did hear him make a speech in the chow hall, awarding one of the kitchen staff with a service award, and was quite impressed by him! Also, I was tasked with patrolling the backdoor of the building he attended a meeting in to make sure no one went in.
All in all, it was an amazing time, and a beautiful area! Also, if anyone is ever by Lake Erie: TOFT'S ICE CREAM. Go there. You won't regret it.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...