Sunday, September 29, 2024

Endurance Sports...and women

 (First off, I would be lying if I said that I didn't feel somewhat guilty about posting something pertaining to the Appalachian Trail while western North Carolina is currently under water! If anyone there is reading this, stay safe and we're rooting for you!)

Recently, the news got out that a young woman made history as she completed the Appalachian Trail in 40 days...the fastest time ever accomplished by anyone. For most, it takes approximately four months to complete the trail. Odds that many viewed as impossible, were defied by a woman! 

Not long ago at all-just a decade ago!- the thought of a woman being the fastest individual ever to complete the Appalachian Trail would have been scoffed at. It would have been insisted that when someone does finally complete the trail in a mere forty days, it will be a man, no question. 

However, according to some recent studies that I have seen, it is beginning to be scientifically proven that women ironically do have a biological advantage in extreme endurance sports over men! I believe that the reason may still be being looked into...but it's an interesting thought. And I say "ironically" because, just a few decades ago, whoever would have thought? Women were held back by societal views...in something that they may have had an advantage in all along! I remember back at my old camp, Talisman, on our long hiking and backpacking trips, it would always be said that "the girls are leaving the boys in the dust!" And it's true. The girls would often end up about half a mile ahead of the boys...! While I will admit that this could have been an autism thing (and there could still be a tie in), given that autistic females usually don't have the issues with gross motor skills and muscular strength that males have (and also, the girls are simply often just not as likely to sit and play games and watch anime as well...so they could be more likely to be better fit!) it's interesting to take note of this scientific revelation. Again, not long ago, who would have thought that women may be more biologically capable of excelling in endurance sports than men?

Another one that comes to light is the first woman to successfully complete the Barkley Marathon last spring. The Barkley Marathon is absolutely the most grueling, tedious trail race in the history of the world. The first woman to successfully complete it would run up and down mountains in the dead of the night...in sleet...to prepare. And she did it with two conditions that I myself suffer from: injured knees and fatigue from Long Covid. Talk about an inspiration! Would I LOVE to run the Barkley Marathon one day? Yes! I have never even heard of this race until last spring (and most haven't, the details of the race are kept extremely secret.)

But of course, I more than plan to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail...perhaps even in forty days?! Again, my old camp (an hour away from currently hurricane-stricken Asheville) very likely conditioned me to do this. The AT is no question on my bucket list...and maybe even the Barkley Marathon? Who knows?

I hope that all girls will take note of these influential figures in long distance endurance sports. I really do. I want to take note that the AT record setter did use her run to raise money for Girls on The Run, a non-profit helping young girls getting into running, track, and cross country. A great organization to donate to, if you can spare some funds!

Again, these women are an inspiration...and I hope to start training for the Appalachian Trail very soon!

(Note: I didn't put their names on my blog. If they read this and want to comment, they can!) 😁

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...